Stoney Point thread size?

JBM

Anybody know what the thread size on a Stoney Point seating depth tool is? It looks like 12-28, but I want to be sure before I order a tap.

Thanks!

Q: What is the thread size for the OAL Gauge? I am an experienced machinist and would like to modify my own brass. Can you provide the proper drill bit and tap?
A: The thread size is 5/16" x 36. This is a special size drill and tap that we can provide to experienced machinists. Contact us for details.
www.stoneypoint.com

I am thinking fire formed brass will give a more accurate measurement of base to lands.

My Stony Point threaded brass is like .004 shorter at the shoulder than the fired cases. If I bump the shoulders .002, now I have a difference of .002. ARRRGGHHH!

Had my dad pick up a tap from a machine shop supply place yesterday.
He didn't tell me yet what it cost.
Will let everyone know what the difference is.
Sorry JBM, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Seems as if we may be thinking along the same lines!

It is a 5/16 by 36 tpi.I got mine from a guy who had ordered it but do not know from where.The tap was made in Poland, go figure.
Old Bear

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry JBM, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Seems as if we may be thinking along the same lines!

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't bother me -- I just feel stupid for not checking their FAQ. I Google'd once and called it good. MSC sells the taps for about $15. I haven't looked anywhere else.

I remembered what the 12-28 thread was. My Dewey cleaning rod.

JBM

[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking fire formed brass will give a more accurate measurement of base to lands.

My Stony Point threaded brass is like .004 shorter at the shoulder than the fired cases. If I bump the shoulders .002, now I have a difference of .002. ARRRGGHHH!

[/ QUOTE ]

For most of us, the $6.50 per furnished case (ie, ship them your fire-formed brass) is a bargain. I make a similar tool for my 50 BMG and had to purchase a hand tapper to get the required perfect alignment. Even with the proper tap and my alignment (hand tapper) tool, I wouldn't bother to cut my own threads.

Over here in Australia we have to get import permits to get modified stoney point cases into the country so we had a custom tap made and it was 5/16 36tpi it cost us $70 Australian that is about $52US but if you also have wildcat or improved cases you have to make your own we charge $10 to tap a case and throat the neck when it has been resized after forming and we have paid the tap off quickley and now every one we do the money goes for merning tea.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.