Stoney Point Target Knobs- Are they any good ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Down Under Hunter, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Down Under Hunter

Down Under Hunter Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a VX3 4.5-14 x 40 LR 30mm sope that I need to fit with target knobs. Will the Stoney Point turrets work well and is there a std leupold turret that fits all ? Which model fits my scope ? Any clues ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. cross

cross Well-Known Member

My fear with the Stony Point Knobs is that they're not waterproof. I always send my scopes back to Leupold, they'll put knobs on them for about $60 apiece + shipping.

3. JD338

JD338 Well-Known Member

I bought a set of Stoney Point dials for a Leupold scope and was disappointed in them. I have now sent 2 scopes back to Leupold to have the M1 dials added. Much better way to go.
    The cost with shipping is $145.00 and will take about 2 weeks.

JD338

4. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...true#Post137310

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...part=1&vc=1

Hope this helps. I've got a Vari-X 3 4.5 x 14 that the Stoney Point knobs worked fine on. Even if they're not waterproof (see last link to see what I did--OH...--and if you get them they come with these clear silicone like caps that I leave on when in the field that fit well (don't need to take them off to read marks or click) and they protect the whole turrent very well anyway), the scope still will be waterproof with the caps off anyway. Little learning curve, like with everything. Biggest issue I've found is that you need to make a mark on the scope to index to a mark on the ring that actually screws down onto the scope. It tends to unscrew a bit and might cause you to lose zero. Could use locktite or similar on the threads, but I didn't want to to that on my scope. Good luck.

5. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

6. Down Under Hunter

Down Under Hunter Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your thoughts !

I think I'll give them a go as they are a cheap start. If they work , great. If not they have not cost the earth, and I'll probably have the new nxs by then anyway.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif