Stolen Gun

Gun Recovered

I wanted to report back to those that have kept an eye out for my rifle. It's great to see a group of people willing to help out others that they may not know or may never meet. Thank you all.
I got a call last night from the investigator of the case to report that they had found my gun! That was the good news, the bad news is that it was found at the bottom of the Clackamass River. It looks like the person that stole it threw it off the bridge. Two fisherman saw it as the floated the river and pulled it out with a net. A county sheriff just happen to be watching them and immediately made contact. Bad news is the stock busted and the part not attached to the barreled action was not recovered….(floated down the river).
The scope received damage, (hope NF covers water damage).
I have not actually seen it and most likely will not be able to for two weeks. They will not release it to me without a background check, which they cannot do as the county sheriff. It has to be mailed in. Side not, the lady in the property room looks at me and says "are you even allowed to own a gun?" My immediate answer, if I am not able to own a gun that wouldn't that makes me a felon? Wouldn't it be pretty stupid for coming to the county sheriff to get my gun back!

The Oregon City Police department was a pleasure to work with. I think they went above and beyond what they normally do for stolen property.

What idiots I can't even believe that beautiful piece ended up in a river.Good luck on the restoration

Wow, although you have some satisfaction in getting it back it sure stinks they had to damage it so badly.

I have been traveling a lot in the past few years on various hunting trips and wonder what everyone does with their rifles when they leave the motel room? Sure could ruin a hunt or competition in a hurry.

Although mine is in a locked case, any third grader could run off with it and then break into it. Sounds like locking it in a rental car isn't any better of an option.

I feel so sorry for you. My father pulled a prank on me, hid my gun to make me think it was stolen (5000 beretta 682 gold e combo) I was sick. I know how you feel man. Get her back!

Lesson learned, read comments first. Why would someone throw a rifle into a river? I mean are you too stupid to even keep the thing? Or sell it? God, dumb people are just dumb.

Lesson learned, read comments first. Why would someone throw a rifle into a river? I mean are you too stupid to even keep the thing? Or sell it? God, dumb people are just dumb.

I thought I had updated this thread....Good news, they found my gun! bad news is that it was recovered from the bottom of the Clackmas River!

The detective said they thought they knew who had stolen it and was putting a lot of pressure on them so they figured they got scared and the gun had to much heat so they drove roughly 25 min away from my house and tossed it off a bridge.

The county sheriff happened to be watching two fisherman wrestle with a fishing net in their drift boat when they pulled my gun off the bottom. It was thrown off the bridge into shallow water.

The scope was sent back to Nightforce and they said it was still good to go. The glass was still good, but the outside took some damage. The action and barrel had some rust. The trigger was the worst part with lots of rust.

The most unfortunate thing was the stock did not survive.

Not only did it break and the other half floated away, it swelled up and cracked length ways.

Not happy but I guess it is not sitting in some dirt bags house.

I thought I had updated this thread....Good news, they found my gun! bad news is that it was recovered from the bottom of the Clackmas River!

The detective said they thought they knew who had stolen it and was putting a lot of pressure on them so they figured they got scared and the gun had to much heat so they drove roughly 25 min away from my house and tossed it off a bridge.

The county sheriff happened to be watching two fisherman wrestle with a fishing net in their drift boat when they pulled my gun off the bottom. It was thrown off the bridge into shallow water.

The scope was sent back to Nightforce and they said it was still good to go. The glass was still good, but the outside took some damage. The action and barrel had some rust. The trigger was the worst part with lots of rust.

The most unfortunate thing was the stock did not survive.

Not only did it break and the other half floated away, it swelled up and cracked length ways.

Not happy but I guess it is not sitting in some dirt bags house.

Those pictures are worse to look at than to watch marley and me...

Im so sorry about what happened :/

Well I guess that's one unfortunate but real caveat of a wooden stock if it ever gets stolen, then ditched in river.

rifle looks distinctive keep going to the ranges and pawnshops you'll know it when u see it then give the thieves some thump therapy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.