stock work

jrdoty

Hello everybody I have a Ruger m77(tang Safety) and I just bought a bell and Carlson Thumbhole stock for it. I glass bedded the stock, and now when I put the barreled action in the stock the safety will not work. Everything else works fine ecept the safety. I filed down the stock all around the little safety rod that goes from the safety button to the trigger, and it still doesn't work. Please give me some ideas on what I should do. Thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Was the bolt cocked as you worked the safety. I don't remember for sure but I don't believe the safety will engauge unless it is.

Does the safety "then" engauge if you remove the action from the stock?

Is the relieved area around the safety and such look to offer the same clearance in the B&C stock as it does in the original stock?

While the old lady ain't looking, swipe her lipstick. Smear all parts that you think come in contact with the stock, and give it a press fit. This will tell vary quickly where the high spots are. Try moving the safety while in the stock., again this is a vary good tell. For all of us really cheap bastards out there. Ask the boss to pick-up two jars of what they call cold cream for you when she goes to the store. Take one and mix powdered charcoal in to the gue. You are now the proud owner of two life time supplies of in-letting grease. Try getting the same kind of money out of your concoction as Brownell's if you can find jars that small, you'll only have to sell a pair to pay you back for your two life time supply and change left over for a case of your favorite import ROOT BEER. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Had the same problem with my Ruger 77 in my 300 Win Mag,
I had bought a Richards Micro Stock in quilted maple. Look
underneath the rear of the tang, there should be just a little bit of a counter bore recess under the saftey, you
might have to open this area up and make it a little deeper.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.