Stock Texture

BenY 2013

Alright on my next build I am wanting to do some texturing on the stock myself. I either want to use textured spray paint or the"marine-tex". My question is do you think the paint would hold up to hunting conditions? Or should I go ahead and spend a little more money for the epoxy stuff??? Thanks

Alright on my next build I am wanting to do some texturing on the stock myself. I either want to use textured spray paint or the"marine-tex". My question is do you think the paint would hold up to hunting conditions? Or should I go ahead and spend a little more money for the epoxy stuff??? Thanks

I've prepped, flamed, primed, and overcoated run of the mill poly stocks with the sand textured spray paint, then top coated with duracoat. Seemed to do fair, but my favorite method is to use steel bed. Cut out a cardboard or paper shape that fits the area you want textured in the pattern you want, scan or copy it on your computer, and reverse the image. Cut both images out and trace the outline of the area you want the texture onto your gun. Make sure its where you want it. Now mask the area off, and use an exacto knife to cut the tape to your trace line on the stock. Spread Steel bed just thick enough to cover the surface (1-2mm). While the compound is still wet, simply smack the surface with the flat side of a popsicle stick, and you will get a knobbly texture. Wait an hour, and remove the tape, cleaning up any steel bed outside the area with the exacto knife. Paint it with rustoleum, duracoat, etc. after dried.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.