stock replacement help

Jinx-)

Recently I bought Rem 700 SPS varmint in .223, it was almost give away at the local Dick's, I didn't really care about the stock since I wanted to experiment with glass bedding, the barrel was another thing I wanted faster twist but guess I can live with 1:12 for now, after 5 - 6 K rounds I will replace it with 1:8 or 1:7, but back to the stock. Synthetic stock which Remington put on SPS makes its varmint barrel not to free float, so with a help of DevCon I got it to free float, so far 7 out of 8 shots at 100 yards can squish under 1/2", the flier could be me or the stock, so now I'm thinking to replace this stock with something nice, I'm leaning more towards aluminum bedding block. I looked at HS, B&C and Choate varmint-tactical line, from the pictures they seemed almost identical, for the exception of the prices

Choate Tactical Stock for Remington BDL Short Action

Page8.htm

H-S Precision PSC028 - Online Store

Choate is also making varmint stock which also got aluminum bedding

Choate Varmint Stock for Remington 700 Short Action

so anyone had hands-on experience with them, then what would you recommend?

Thanx

Last edited:
IMO the best buy now is the Stockys new laminated LR stock by Bobby Hart.

I just got mine and it was just over $300 for pillar bedded clear coated laminate with studs and recoil pad. Looks great. Delivery was about 2-3 weeks.

He has a $50 off promo right now too.

He is a sponsor here and couple threads you can see.

BH

Thank you for replying. I did check StockysStocks.com it has very nice selection!
BountyHunter, I have question regarding pillar bedding, I always thought it is best to have glass bedded stock, even if it has pillars and aluminum block is the way to go. I have one of my riffles in laminate stock which also has aluminum bedding block, I just don't see them made for REM 700 action. So what advantages does pillar bedding has over full aluminum block? which I would probably glass bed depends if I see greater improvements?

Thanx

I put a B&C var.medalist on my Sav.22-250 and am very pleased with it. The barral is free floated and I did the bedding myself. 1.4 inches at 400 yds on a very calm day.
Also check out www.stockysstocks.com lots of choices and they ship fast..

I thought B&C varmint medalist stock comes with aluminum bedding block, so from what I understand you glass bedded once more?

Thanx

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.