Stock Question

drenner43

I have thought about this before and was just contemplating it again. Stocks...You have synthetic/composite stock, the same with aluminum bedding blocks, solid wood stocks, laminated wood stocks, laminated stocks with aluminum bedding blocks.

Are any of these any better than the other assuming all have a good bedding job and free floated barrel? If so, why?

I have no scientific proof what so ever to back up my opinion, but I would venture to guess, that with an aluminum bedding block, or with an action fully bedded (not just lug) & bbl fully floated, any difference between wood/lam/syn would be so mineute, as to be almost imperceptable.

Personally-
I love the look, & feel of wood stocks. I looked at full length aluminum bedded wood stocks, & they're HORRIBLY overpriced. If $$$ was not an issue is definately go that route because of personal preferance. But if $$$ was an issue, & I were to get an aftermarket stock it would be an adjustable synthettic for less $. I'd hate the look, & feel, but like the price & function.
While there may be a very slight difference, I just seriously doubt anyone could see any perceptable difference if everything was equaly bedded/floated weather it be wood, plywood,kevlar, or plastic.

I like the feel of wood too, but I love my GreyBull Precision stock. I hunt with my guns and in Oregon on the coast range its easy to knock them around. I like a bullet proof setup and the GreyBull is great on the ground while still practical off hand. Next would be a laminate with a bedding block or at least pillars and bedded for a "landing rifle". A vertical pistol grip is what I like.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. It really shouldn't matter with a good pillar bedding job. But I didn't know if anybody had some insight I wasn't seeing.

A couple other things to keep in mind.

1) The forearm should be stiff enough to handle a bipod and the weight of the rifle without flexing, otherwise you'll get some rebound and it will open up your groups.
2) I don't know why, but the Brown Precision Kevlar lightweight stock on my 7RM reduces recoil significantly over the heavier walnut stock it replaced, it has to be something about the foam filled kevlar??

AJ

I was thinking about one of the bobby hart stocks from stockys. I think I'll go for the one without the aluminum bedding block and make my own pillars and save some money.

I have 2 of the Bobby Hart LRT stocks, without the aluminum bedding block, one on my 338 Ultra mag for hunting and the other on my SPS Tactical and I Devcon bedded both of them. I am in the process of building a 6.5-300WSM and I am going to put one on that rifle TOO. They are a great stock for the money, fit and finish is a 99 out of 100.
Most of them are on backorder till about the end of Jan. (Rem short action ones )
Tarey

Thanks for the info, yeah I just looked at the stock also, I am needing one for a short action too. Guess I'll be waiting for the color I wanted! Glad to hear some good feedback on them though.

changed my mind and went ahead and ordered one from the in stock colors, the birch. Now I can't wait to get it, hopefully it will be here Friday.

changed my mind and went ahead and ordered one from the in stock colors, the birch. Now I can't wait to get it, hopefully it will be here Friday.
There are threaded pillars that adjust, and not to much either.

I actually went with the other pillars they offer, not the threaded ones. Hopefully they will work out as well. Looks like I should have the stock tomorrow according to tracking.

When I get it in I'll try to take some detailed pictures of the stock and my bedding job during and after.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.