Stock question

RangerBrad

Bullseye Precision of Fort Smith is doing my Marlin MR-7 25-06 project. On his recommendation, we are going with a Krieger barrel( do any of yal know much about this barrel?) The main problem we're hitting is a stock. Neither Manners or Mcmillian produce a stock for this rifle. Do any of yal know what some of my options are? My smith does not manufacture stocks, just installs them. If I cannot find a composite stock my only option is the allready existing wood stock. What say yal?, Brad

Bullseye Precision of Fort Smith is doing my Marlin MR-7 25-06 project. On his recommendation, we are going with a Krieger barrel( do any of yal know much about this barrel?) The main problem we're hitting is a stock. Neither Manners or Mcmillian produce a stock for this rifle. Do any of yal know what some of my options are? My smith does not manufacture stocks, just installs them. If I cannot find a composite stock my only option is the allready existing wood stock. What say yal?, Brad

I'm not sure about Manners, but mcMillan should be able to provide you a blank in any style you like. Your smith might be able to inlet to your barrled action. If not, Chad Dixon (NesikaChad) is very capable of doing it.

-Mark

If I do get stuck with the wood stock is what metal finishes do yal think would look good on it other than the traditional blued?
I'm fortunate that the palm area of the wooden stock is very vertcal resembeling the Mcmillan HTG stock or Manners t stock. Mainly concerned with the weather effect on the walnut stock. Brad

I would not use a walnut stock for a LR hunting rifle because of it's susceptibility to environmental conditions. I was a hobby woodworker for quite a few years and I have seen what environmental conditions will do to wood. Possibly for varminting when you can choose good conditions. I am considering refinishing a S&W 1500 which has a very nice walnut Monte Carlo w/cheek pad and rebarreling it to 6mm-284 for varminting.

My general hunting guns get good sturdy synthetic stocks.

You could always have the walnut stock glass bedded with pillars put in. That would help to eliminate the effects of weather in the wood. Another step would be to strip it down and use a good wood sealers that would seal the wood from moisture and humidity and refinish the stock.

From what I have seen, the action closely resembles a Savage in many aspects. You may want to purchase a Savage stock and see how it fits. You may or may not need to do some material removal and fitment. Just a thought.

Tank

You could always have the walnut stock glass bedded with pillars put in. That would help to eliminate the effects of weather in the wood. Another step would be to strip it down and use a good wood sealers that would seal the wood from moisture and humidity and refinish the stock.

From what I have seen, the action closely resembles a Savage in many aspects. You may want to purchase a Savage stock and see how it fits. You may or may not need to do some material removal and fitment. Just a thought.

Tank

Howdy Tank :)

I would Devcon bed the stock with pillars and that would help, but IMO, it wouldn't completely stop the effect of temp and humidity changes on it, even if it's well "sealed".

Howdy Tank :)

I would Devcon bed the stock with pillars and that would help, but IMO, it wouldn't completely stop the effect of temp and humidity changes on it, even if it's well "sealed".

Well some prevention is better than none!:rolleyes: I was thinking Devcon, but got a little buzz on right now and it slipped my mind!:D Sorry!

Tank

I found a coustom stock man in the area that will inlet the stock however, he wants $200-$300 on top of the $400 for the stock putting $700-$800 in the stock alone. That sounds awful high. What say yal? Brad

I found a coustom stock man in the area that will inlet the stock however, he wants $200-$300 on top of the $400 for the stock putting $700-$800 in the stock alone. That sounds awful high. What say yal? Brad
For that price get a tough as nails kevlar carbon fiberglass , pillar bedded,Lonewolf stock, many profiles to choose from. They are as good as it gets

Might want to give Stockade stocks a call and see what he says about his stocks and fitment with the Marlin vs the Savage. Might be able to get it a little cheaper. CAUTION: He can be very crude in his language, but is very informative and willing to answer questions.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.