Stock question

z71aggie

I've decided that I am going to get a 308 to get started into long range shooting but now I have a question about what gun I should get. In the thread I started the other day liltank suggested buying a aftermarket stock for any gun I got if I could afford it. This made me think.

Would I be better off buying a more expensive gun with a better stock such as the 700p, xcr tactical, or savage model 11 long range hunter with accustock. Or should I save some money on the gun and buy a gun with a cheaper stock to start with and then buy an aftermarket stock.

I know this route might cost a little more but I dont want to rush into buying anything when I could have better for just a little more money.

Thanks, Dustin

I just got my new stock for my savage mod.11 in 300wsm ,a Bell & Carlson dura max for a hvy barrel. The stock cost 103.42 to my door from stockys stocks.com . I am waiting on a new barrel which should be here the end of the month ,I hope.

So lets say you want a Savage mod.11 rifle regular stock and the gun costs say 600.00. You can find a nice aftermarket stock for say 125.00 now we are at 725.00. Most B/C stocks come with a good recoil pad so that is done and a def.edge cheek piece is about 80.00 I think, so a little over800.00 dollars total.

the sav.11 LRH with accustock msrp run 932.00 to 972.00 also includes a brake which I don't think is needed on a 300wsm if it has a good recoil pad and an adjustable cheek piece which is a nice addon.

Price differece of around 125.00 you can now get a Harris bi-pod and still have lunch money on the way home from the range. Buying components and putting things together yourself is also more fun...

" And thats all I got to say about that" Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.