Stock problem.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by 25 Otter, May 25, 2011.

1. 25 Otter

25 Otter Well-Known Member

Hey all. I'm having a M700 long action trued and barreled with a Shilen #4 contour pipe in 284 Win. The problem comes with the stock options. I want to keep the rifle in sporter configuration. Regretfully,I'm having trouble finding an aftermarket stock for the #4 Shilen. There just isn't money available for a McMillan or Manners,so that narrows the field a bit. Anyone have a sugestion? I'm thinking I should have gone with the #3 Shilen instead.

2. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Any competent custom gunsmith or stockmaker can open the barrel channel to acommodate the #4 Shilen barrel.

Order the stock you want, and have the barrel channel undersized. Then have it inletted by hand to fit the exact profile of the barrel.

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

www.StockysStocks .com MBI pro has plenty of stocks with the magnum barrel channel for the 700.

If it is not listed as a magnum some can be opened up.

If you find one that you like and are not sure ask to talk to Don, he can answer any of
    your questions as to the fit of your barrel.

I have used #5 shillen on sporter stocks with little barrel channel work.

J E CUSTOM

4. 25 Otter

Hey thanks for the input fellas,I appreciate it. I was looking at the Alaskan 2 over on Stockys last evening. Could be a prospect. It's good to know who to talk to when asking questions. I'll be sure to ask for Don if I give them a call. I'm not familiar with MBI though. Could you elaborate?

5. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

"All of Stocky's sites are owned and operated by Media Blitz Internet Promotions, Inc. Incorporated" AKA MBI.

6. bastover

bastover Member

I have a 7mmSTW with a #4 contour shilen and I used a bell an carlson medalist in od with black web. opened her up bedded it and its a GREAT SADNESS when the ole trigger is touched

7. 25 Otter

:cool: Any Pics? Sounds like a beauty.

8. bastover

bastover Member

7mmstw #4 shilen shrewd brake medalist stock vari-x3 6.5-20x40 er varminthunter reticle

Attached Files:

9. 25 Otter

:cool: Cool! Very nice rig. She looks like a "reach out and touch em" rifle.