Stock opinions? Ordering soon

skyfish25

I'm in the process of building my first "long range rifle". I have been shooting a heavy barrel Creedmoor a lot, but want more of a hunter. I have ordered a brux #5(.700" at muzzle) 26" 7mm barrel. 1/9. March, maybe.

Plan on short action around a 7mm SAUM, have one in Model seven, light, but want more range. Have a light 6.5 for a "mountain rifle".

Want your opinions on stocks, primarily for hunting. Out to 600 yards in ideal conditions. Will shoot to 1k at times at targets.

What I have looked at:
I thought I decided on the Manners MCS EH-2 or -3(Elite Hunter High Comb)Or the MCS T wider up front, heavier.

Then I looked at The Bell & Carlson M40, Tactical Medalist 4 Series 1000. Has the monte carlo cheekrest, that I like. Simple, I like.

If you have other ideas, I'd like to hear as well

So, to sum up. Remington 700 action, brux #5 barrel, 7mm SAUM. Yes, I thought very much about a Savage action. But am 95% certain on Rem, once I order stock, decision is made. Still need to get action. But used Remington 700's in WSM seem to be around. Rambling now, so time to post.

Last edited:
For a hunting rifle with a #5 barrel, my favorite style stock is one I never see mentioned. Look at a McMillan Remington BDL style.

I will say the McMillian Rem-Hunter is an option as the other 2. Just was worried about lead time. Was wondering not what people chose so much as to the why.

Not sure if that is the stock you meant by DBL style.

Ok, went on McMillian web page. Found the BDL style. Is, IYO, the Rem-Hunter too wide, as the McMillian Hunter is up to a #4 and the Rem-Hunter is up to a #8.

Last edited:
I will say the McMillian Rem-Hunter is an option as the other 2. Just was worried about lead time. Was wondering not what people chose so much as to the why.

Not sure if that is the stock you meant by DBL style.

I like the McMillan Remington Hunter but I don't think I would choose it if I was using a #5 barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.