Stock help

EFR

I'm looking for a little help on picking a new stock. I am having a 300 RUM built for med-long range hunting; Borden Timberline/26" Bartlein #3/Premier light tactical scope. I'd like to get a McMillan, but I'm stuck from there. I'm torn between the A3 sportier, McMillan Hunter, McMillan Tactical Hunter, and McMillan thumbhole. I've called McMillan (Kay was quite helpful), and she is sending out the thumbhole for me to try; none of the others were available to test.

I've searched he forums until my eyes ache, but without setting up behind one, it's tough, especially considering the cost and wait.

For hunting, what would you recommend? I shoot prone whenever possible, but could be sitting, and was standing this year resting off a tree when a shot presented itself. Th A3 sportier looks nice to shoot prone (although there is a drop at heel), but may be awkward to carry, shoot other than prone, Hunter looks great to carry, but concerned about shooting prone and narrow forend if shooting off pack. I can't find much info on the tactical Hunter stock (don't know if I has cheekpiece or palm swell).

Any experience or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Choosing the "correct" stock boils down to personal preference and a willingness to accept some level of compromise.
Kudos to McMillan for sending out a stock for you to fondle.
Most of us long range geeks prefer a style that incorporates a vertical grip, high comb, and a somewhat wider forend. These options make the rifle more comfortable to shoot from the prone position, but not so when shooting offhand or carrying.
Some guys are fortunate to get behind rifles at matches or other shooting events that have a few different stock styles, and they learn quickly what is comfortable to them and what is not.
However you figure it out, the answer is to choose a stock that is comfortable to you, and gives you the least amount of compromise.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.