Stock for Sako LA?

Parkerb14

What is a good stock that is inletted for this action? Willing to spend around 300-400 dollars any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Parker

There for awhile, every time you turned around Sako was changing their models some how. CDNN has some stocks some times and I believe McMillian might have a model or two, also. I've a LSA-55 I can't seem to find one for, too. Almost forgot, MPI might do one for you, check with them.

Dont think its for a TRG, havent got it yet my gfs dad is giving it too her, but says the stock sucks. But it has a trued action in 25-06 and would like to rebarrel it in something else...maybe that 300 WSM for elk. How do I tell which action "model" I have ie TRG or something else, never owned a Sako so dont know much about them.

I have a M995 (or TRG-S) in .300 WM with 23 1/2" barrel, 1:11 twist. The action is very strong and smooth.

P5020573.jpg

Very accurate too. Below is my 1st load development with plenty of refinement left.

P9250354.jpg

Good luck!

Ed

Feenix, thanks as usual!

Wookie, why not open the bolt face up, not doubting you just curious as to why not. I'm no gunsmith, nor do I know alot about it. 280 AI would be good too...the 25-06 isnt the uummpphhhh needed to take down elk at 800 or so yards..and thanks for the infor also!

Extractor & feeding issues. Not recommended on a Sako. Find a magnum to build a magnum. Plus if it is a L61R Finnbear in decent shape it is probably worth something.

280 AI would work fine at 800 yards. A friend of mine has a 280 AI & has taken game over 800 yards with it a few times now. 168gr berger works well in it.

Parker, it should say on your action what type it is like Feenix showed. i.e., mine says SAKO 85 SM, so it's a model 85 Short Magnum.

I agree with the others. Dont mess with too much with a Sako. Keep the same boltface and basic cartridge. The 280 AI would be my choice to boost the range and thump. You could also go with a 30-280AI if you want to shoot the 30 cal bullets and it would be close to a 300 WSM and you could fire form Lapua .06 brass. A little more for dies, etc.

Having said that, in the M85, the recoil lug system is a joke, and if you have the same deal, I would keep it as a 25-06. The less recoil the better.

JM $.02, and good shooting,

-Mark

Thanks guys, we pick it up soon and will post pics of it wednesday or thursday. Looks like 280 AI would be my best choice. I don't want to get too fancy like a 30-280AI. But after I look at it and find out what model we can go from there.

Wookie from sako Club hello.
I have a M995 in 375H&H and was going to put my 338 Lapua barrel on it. I have been looking for a bolt to open up so i can use both barrels when i want.
NOT why i am posting.
The guy at Accuflite in Pa was saying the M995 was discontinued because of several reasons.
First being the BOLT has the pin at the rear and on occasion if a miss fire happens gas blows back and if not wearing glasses when hunting etc it has caused eye damage,
The second is HE hates the stock it gets slippery when wet
The 375 H&H shoots great for what it was designed.
Shot a Racoon at 80 yards at night with a green laser temp mounted on barrel.
Not a record I also got one with 416 rigby..we were hog hunting around laredo and testing ballistics.
300gr Barnes TSX

Quagaarx6x,

The guy at Accuflite in Pa was saying the M995 was discontinued because of several reasons. First being the BOLT has the pin at the rear and on occasion if a miss fire happens gas blows back and if not wearing glasses when hunting etc it has caused eye damage,
I can't seem to find the article but the reason was, "it finally got too expensive to manufacture and was discontinued in 2002".

As far as the firing pin issue, I've c&p the recall notice below:

There is a risk that when the rifle is fired with a defective cartridge – either because it was reloaded or because the cartridge had a primer that pierced upon detonation – the rearward gas escape might cause a broken portion of the firing pin to exit the rear portion of the rifle towards the shooter.

No actual accidents happened but one incident was confirmed in Italy and one in Canada. Ejected firing pin may cause injury to the shooter, especially if the shooter is firing the rifle without use of protective safety glasses.

Voluntary recall from consumers and corrective actions by the manufacturer

(EUROPA - Consumer Affairs - Unsafe products
)

The second is HE hates the stock it gets slippery when wet
The stock finish has a nice shine and smooth finish and can be slippery but I never had any problem with mine. In any case, I'm sure there are others but a quick fix is a pac skin like ...

Pachmayr Pac-Skin

Ed

Yeah like I have no issues with the stock. Because it was dinged up when I got it I did a Dura-coat on it and a fleur de lys pattern on grip and forearm.

However what was the manufacturer correction with regards to the firing pin.

Still looking for another bolt for a M995 in 375H&H or 338L

The PA guy is helpful of course he wants to sell TRGS-42s

There is a nice 22LR on GB

Thanks for the reply

Dont think its for a TRG, haven't got it yet my gfs dad is giving it too her, but says the stock sucks. But it has a trued action in 25-06 and would like to rebarrel it in something else...maybe that 300 WSM for elk. How do I tell which action "model" I have ie TRG or something else, never owned a Sako so don't know much about them.

I own several Sako rifles. Even within the same model the stocks aren't all the same since they can have different barrel channels and magazines. (sort of like the Rem 700). Get it in your hands first then look for a stock for it if necessary. Many Sako's have wooden stocks, and many are quite nice. Sometimes a beat up stock is best for hunting. Your' not afraid to beat it up a little more rather than leave it home to protect it.

If it has a good barrel I'd shoot the 25-06 until it wears out. (2000 shots?) It's not bad for deer and smaller game. . My favorite 30-06 size cartridge is the 280 AI (Ackley Improved 280 Rem
It's a very good deer cartridge and good for elk with only a small reduction in useful range compared to a 7mm Mag. I expect it would be less expensive to sell it and buy a Sako magnum than to try to convert it to a magnum bolt and magazine, though that would depend on what model action you have.

Try this forum for most things Sako: htttp://sakocollectors.lefora.com/forum/category/sakocollectors-forum-topics/

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.