stock buying, and future self build question.

Sasquatch

On the boyds websight I noticed thay have several stocks with "virtual inlet part" what does this mean?

I am wanting to get a laminate or composit thumbhole that I can put a rem. 700 ADL .30-06 in to. Right now I have access to milling tools, and am willing to do some final cutting if the pattern is already laid out in the stock. The new stock will be glass bedded for the action. This stock will also be used as part of a project rifle down the road when I have enough confidence to build my own rifle on the rem 700 long action. It will be something that I shoot for a long time, use powder loads similar to, or smaller than the .30-06 in wieght, and an inheritantly accurate cartridge. This stock will start out on a hunting rifle for speed goats and deer and the project rifle will be used for target, varmit, predator, and if legal caliber some antelope/deer. I am also looking for ideas on this. All help would be greatly appreciated.

sasquatch, you may want to go one step futher and have them use there action and have it fully inleted. At least thats what I am doing now. The laminate stocks can be tricking to inlet as they have a tendency to chip where you don't want it to. If I remember right it's not that much more money. I then finish them myself. If they screw it up you won't see it. Dave

thanks for your experience on that budman. Is the virtual inletting part just the start of an inletting job and I would have to finish it?

I don't know the answer to your question but have you tried to send them an email? I have never heard of virtual inletting and would be interested to find out what you learn. Do you have a link to their web site?

I haven't sent them an e-mail yet because I thought someone on here might know. Thanks for putting up a link for everyone Slipshot. I also found this when I was able to spend a little more time on the sight:

"Virtual Inlet Parts (VIP) references stocks that have been precision machined with the intention of eliminating hand fitting. We do not install our house actions into the final stocks; therefore, on certain models it may be necessary to perform very simple inletting tasks. (i.e. Square the corners of the recoil lug area, etc) Exteriors are completely shaped, and in areas of wood to metal fit,
we have left proud wood over metal so you can do final fitting to get that perfect wood to metal fit. The broad faces of stock are rough sanded to a 100 grit scratch pattern. Tight radius's have machining marks filed out for added ease of final sanding."

Thanks for trying to help guys!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts