Stock and barrel for savage 11 (carrying rifle)

megastink

I have a new savage mod 11 .473 (4.4" spacing) bolt face that I want to customize. I am looking for suggestions for a replacement stock and replacement barrel.

The stock should be lightweight, stiff and ridged. Wood or synthetic. Barrel needs to float. Im not too big on style. The action will be bedded.

Barrel: I'd like one between 23-24 inches, sported weight, maybe slightly heavier, but not target or varmint contour. I'd prefer a blued barrel, but can't be too picky.

My goal is to build a .243 that it under 7.5#, designed as a carrying rifle, but capable of a 400 yard shot with 1 MOA accuracy with hornady 95 gr factory loads.

Budget: $200 for the stock
$300 for the barrel.

Hope I'm not asking too much. Please let me know opinions! Thanks!

Talk to Kevin Rayhill at Stockade. His hunting Sporter stock, in the money saver, which you do the finish work on, would fit your requirements for price. actually, I think he has like 3 of his in the money saver that would work. For a Barrel in your price range, check out McGowen barrels from Savage-Barrels.com

I spent more on my stock and barrel, got both from Stockade and am just waiting for the barrel, which I just ordered. The price is higher than you want, but it might be worth talking to Kevin about.

Boyds has some good wood options. You'd be talking in the 2.5 - 3 lbs range. Of course you'd probably want to add pillars and bed. As suggested savage-barrels can hook you up with something. Maybe a heavy sporter/magnum contour would work for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.