still working on a load for the 300RUM

freebird63

Spent the day out in the desert trying to figure out which load is going to shoot in my sendero 300RUM.
The two powders I have been trying are Retumbo and Ramshot magnum.
The bullets I have been using are berger, 175gr, 185gr, 190gr and 210gr.
So far I like the way the 185's shoot. My two best loads were 96gr Retumbo and 97gr Retumbo. But they were not that good, nothing to brag about. I started out at 100 yards and then moved out to 200 yards. I had found a max load of 100gr of Retumbo and that seemed to throw the bullets everywhere. I think I will play a bit more with seating my bullets closer to the lands, but not too close that it makes my rifle a single shot. If that doesn't work then I guess my gun doesn't like berger bullets and its back to Nosler accubonds. I never had these kinda problems with accubonds with my wifes 300SAUM.
Any advice from the guru's out there?????

Last edited:
Some rifles just won't shoot the Bergers. My 300 RUM won't. You may have to move on to other manufacturer's bullets.

Regardless of the outcome I am concerned with your statement that you used 67 and 68 grs of Retumbo. Is that a typographical error? I just checked Hodgon's site
( http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.htmland ) minimal load for a 180 was listed at 94 grs of Retumbo. 190 gr bullet's minimum charge was 90 grains. If you are shooting lower charge weights you could have a safety issue. There is a reason they don't mention lighter charge weights. Stick with recommended load data!

Thank you for catching that, I was wore out last night when I posted that. It was suppose to mean 96gr & 97gr. I loaded with the information that Walt from Berger had sent me. I know my wifes 300SAUM loves Nosler accubonds, I just might have to give them a try. The Scirrocco's look like a good bullet too. My next attempt will be seating the bullets a little closer to the lands and if that doesn't work then will look at other bullets.

I am no gun guru but the 208 grain amax is difficult to impossible to beat for external ballistics with a .648 BC. It should be heavy enough to work well on game despite its light construction. If using lightly constructed bullets like the Bergers or Amax I think a heavy for caliber bullet is the safer choice for on game performance.

Try RE 25 and 180 grain and above bullets. Start at 93.0 grains and work up. I use 96.0 grains behind 180-190 bullets and have seen great results. Use FED215m primers. Good luck.

My rum load is 90 grains retumbo with a 200 grn mk with gold medal mag primers. I'm getting 3100 even from my rem 700 police and at 200 yards i shoot three rounds in the same hole. That my pet load I've tried bergers and they shoot great as well but not as good

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.