Sticking bolt

Tony 0321

Ok so I was working on a load for my 300RUM and finally got a load that I really like. I was using new unfired brass and shot about 30 rounds of my set load at various ranges. All ranges I shot to out to 800 yds held a consistant .5 MOA. However settling on this load I reused the brass, full length resized it and now when i shoot the fired brass with that load just about every time i have a sticky bolt sometimes having to tap it open.
Iam shooting 94 grains retumbo and 200grn nosler acubon.
Nothing else with the brass looks like over pressure, there are no ejector marks, the primer pockets are still tight.

Am i overpressuring the gun or could it be something else?

Thanks, Tony

I experience a similar situation with my RUM, but do not have a sticky bolt. When I use brand new unfired NC brass with my 89.5 gr. H1000 load with 210VLD's I run 3,050fps. I can go full length resize the same once fired brass, with the same powder charge and my velocity hops up to 3120fps. The pressure indicators on the case are more noticeable but no sticky bolt. Not exactly sure what causes this but my guess would be it's the difference between brass that fits looser in the chamber (new brass) and fired and resized brass that may have a closer fit. To correct for this, when I get a new batch of brass I run the initial firing about 1.5 grains higher and then once all new brass has been fired I drop back down to 89.5 grains.

First thing I would check is case length they often grow on the first fire second, measure the shoulder set back from a fired case. The RUM I loaded for liked a 3 thou set back any less caused a little stick.

I too have been seeing the same issue. My 338 Lapua shot fine with no pressure signs with 92 gr H1000, 300 gr Berger, with a COAL 3.875 with new brass. With once fired brass, headspace set back .002", same exact load, every round has a sticky bolt lift after firing. Not real stiff, but more than there should be. Increases as more rounds go down range. No other pressure signs on the case. Has me puzzled. I would think pressure would actually go down with once fired brass. I backed down 1 grain of powder, and there is still a stiff bolt lift after firing. Anyone know what might be the issue here? Will going down in powder more work? Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.