Steyr Pro Hunter II

7stwnut

Does anyone know how these rifles perform? I found one for sale in 6.5 X 55 and am giving it some serious thought. Thanks

I am usually pretty up to date on what steyr has out, and have never heard, and cannot find on the internet a steyr Prohunter II. However I have an SBS Pro Hunter Mountain stainless 6.5x55. It is a bit finicky and has an extremely long throat, but is capable of half inch groups at 100. It has never once failed to drop a deer in its tracks and reliability has been perfect. If the price is right, go for it. I have had several steyrs and all have been good shooters. This one has given me more accuracy problems than the others, but like I said, you have to find the lands and work from there. If you get it start with some Sierra Game Kings 140 gr. and load them to about 3.1 inches and work from there. H4350 and RL22 seem to work well in mine. Hope this helps.

Cody

Cody,
Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to give it a try, it is a nice looking rifle, stainless steel with a composite stock, single set trigger, and the barrel is threaded from the factory too.
Rick

Ok, I would bet that the difference in the II is the Set trigger. Mine doesn't have that, and I have seen some of the high end SBSs that had it but not the Pro Hunters. Sounds sweet though. I also recommend Fed 215 primers if you have a short barrel like mine. It will help you get the most out of the slow burning powders. I have had some argue with me on that, but chronographs don't lie.

Thanks again for the info. I am getting ready to go grab her this morning. If I can get my hands on bases and some factory ammo, we will have a date at the range tomorrow am. Stay tuned.....

Well, put a VX-III in 2.5 X 8 on her and started the break in yesterday. The barrel seemed to clean up faster than any other barrel in the past, after 14 rounds of 140 gr S & B softpoints, I tried a 3 shot group with Fed 123 gr match ammo just to see how I could do. .867 was what it measured. I think I am going to keep this one. Ordered dies today.

Do yourself a favor and buy a neck die of some sort, it made all the difference in the world with mine. I neck size mine with a 6.5 Rem Mag die because I am cheap like that, but shoots good is shoots good. I actually do the same with my 6.5-284 as well. It doesn't go all the way to the shoulder and sometimes you can see a short ring, but I ain't in it for looks. Mine likes S&B brass, and groups pretty well with the soft points you mentioned. Unless you are dead set on a 140 grain bullet, try a 120 Sierra Pro Hunter loaded to 3.1 inches and 47 grains of H4350, this is close to max in my gun, I can go up to 48 but the bolt is just starting to get sticky, have some slight ejector marks and it didn't make one FPS difference in velocity, both average 2793 and the 47 grain load had a much lower ES and SD. I used a CCI250 primer because I had a bunch of them, and figured it would be sufficient, but I still prefer Fed 215. 210Match primers work well but you can get a little more velocity from the magnum primers and that short barrel. I was working up my deer season load with it today and shot a 3/4 inch 5 shot group with this load and with no cool down time between shots, it was 90 degrees out. It seems like 2750-2850 is the magic velocity with mine, no matter what bullet or powder, under that I have to get below 2500 to get it to group well again, there isn't a lot over that with a 120 + grain bullet and that short barrel. Hope this helps. Good luck and congrats, you got a pretty sweet ride there. I love mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts