Stevens action model 200

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by nddodd, Sep 28, 2009.

1. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

I know this probably doesn't belong on this thread but it hasn't got any response on gunsmithing. My question is could a magazine assembly for a long action savage work on my Stevens long action.

Thanks so much,
    Nathan

2. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

The Savage and Stevens actions are the same.

3. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

This is probably going to be another dumb question but, do the box and magazine attatch to the bottom of the action like a rem 700 does or is there a little more to it than that.

Thanks for your help,
    Nathan

4. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

The staggered feed mag boxes attach to the action, the centerfeed boxes don't and are held in place by the stock. The staggered boxes have tabs on each end and the action has slots for them.

5. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

Thanks KRP I appreciate the info.

Nathan

6. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

Hey KRP were could a man get a centerfed magazine assembly, midway doesnt list as centerfed or staggerfed.

Thanks
    Nathan

7. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

You could call Sharp Shooter Supply too see of they have one lying around, find a take off in the classifieds(try the Savage Shooters forum), or get one direct from Savage. Midway still only has the staggered mag boxes.

8. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

Thanks KRP again I appreciate it.

Nathan

9. M_Shock

M_Shock Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a budget elk rifle in either 7 rem mag or 300 win mag. I seem to remember someone saying that the Stevens was a great deal. What's your experience with it? You shoot any groups with it yet?

10. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

Mine is a semi custom rifle, Mcgowan barrel no barrel nut, defensive edge 1" brake, stockade tactical stock. It shoots lights out, best shooting gun ive ever owned.

Nathan

11. M_Shock

Thanks for the info.

How is the trigger, they don't come with the accutrigger right?

12. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

With its sporter barrel, plastic stock and plain trigger the Stevens makes a great light/fast short/medium range critter-getter... A bench gun it aint. Kinda like a small block Chevy though in that there are a lot of thing you can do to improve and/or make it fit your needs.
    The biggest improvement I've found is to move the sling stud back a couple of inches so it rides a bipod better.
    The trigger can be piano wired to a lighter spring along with lightly honeing the surfaces to smooth out the trigger pull. An aftermarket trigger or an old three screw Savage trigger will make it easier as well as better.

13. M_Shock

Okay well I like the sounds of it so far. I think I want to get one in
    7rm. Since this thing is so cheap I'll be able to save more for good glass.

14. Centxshooter

Centxshooter Well-Known Member

The basic Stevens package is a good deal. I picked up the 7mm-08 added Basix trigger and just fitted the center-feed into a Boyd's stock and getting .75 groups consistently with Sierra 140's. I have take 4 hogs with this rifle and load up to 302yds and they were all DRT!. You wont be disappointed.

I wanted to add picked mine up for $175 at Academy Sports.