Stevens 200 accuracy problems

I'd still look closer at the stock, my group size decreased drastically after I stiffened up the forearm and bedded the action in the tupperware stock. There is a ton of flex there that you propably aren't seeing on the bench. also added weight to the butt and put on a Karsten cheekpiece to give a better eyeline to the scope. all of these really helped on my 7mm-08, went from average 1.5" group to about .75" now with factory Fusion ammunition!

I am going to order a Bell and Carlson Stock and then have it bedded to the action. I also think I will go with a 1 piece mount and rings and see if that helps. Thanks for all the quick responses.
Smitty, WHere did you find that cheekpiece you were talking about?

thanks

Lucas

Have you looked at Stockade stocks? I know a lot of folks are really happy with them.

Stocks

I went with a Joel Russo stock, as its the class of stocks (if you like laminate) for the savages.

AJ

Last edited:
Lucas

You stated that this is a factory Stevens, in that case the very first thing I'd do is replace the trigger. You can get a Rifle Basix from Midway for $80 that will adjust from 1-3 lbs.

A heavy inconsistent trigger can be very tough to shoot good groups with.

Chris

My trigger is going off at about 6lbs using a fishing scale and some string. Is that too much for a work rifle? My coyote rifle has the accutrigger and is set at 1 1/2 lbs and I feel that might be too light for a deer rifle. Or do most of you have your triggers set that low?

I think I will go with the Bell and Carlson Stock since I wouldn't have to bed it and I prefer synthetic stocks.

Thanks for all the tips. Thats why I got the stevens. I can choose what goes into it and will still end up less than comparable brands. Awesome.

Lucas

Lucas

I run my deer rifle triggers between 2-3 lbs. 6 lbs from the factory isn't great but it's not terrible either.

I have one Bell & Carlson stock and while it is a step up from the factory stock I wouldn't get another, just not solid enough for my liking. I can still get the barrel to touch even after free floating about 1/16 " on each side.

No matter which stock you get it's almost always beneficial to bed it.

Chris

Are you using a known good scope? This has bitten me in the past...Had everything done to the gun before checking the scope and that was my problem.

i would check the scope and mounting system. I hate to tell you but most of the cheaper leupolds have issues. I had a buddy that had one and had to send it back because it was doing the same thing. It was on a 300wsm and wouldnt group just patterned but he said it shoots much better after he got it back.

Second I would look at the stock but I have a stevens 200 in a 243 and it shoots about 3/4 moa and it is still wearing the factory stock. If I was looking at a after market stock I would look at mcmillan or hs precision. of the top of my head I dont know if hs makes a stock for savages or not. Also getting an after market trigger will help alot. I shoot 2lb triggers on my hunting rifles but thats just me. Some of the people who shoot my guns at deer or what not hate them because they simply were not expacting the gun to go off when it did. that will be somthing you will have to find out for your self.

UPDATE!

I purchased a new set of Leupold Mounts and installed a Rifle Basix 1-3lb trigger. (From Midway) Installed. After sighting in I shot a 3/4" group off the bags and a 1" group off the bipod. I really like the trigger. I think I can work the loads to get that last 1/4 MOA off of my groups.
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I had no idea where to start with the gun being that out of whack. Great Website

Lucas

I have 4 savages and they all needed triggers to shoot groups and none of them got a bi-pod until they got a stockade stock. Glad you got it ciphered out

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.