Steve Shelp, 338 is comming.

SR 90,

As far as accuracy goes, the .338 Timberwolf is awesome. Because of the rigidity of the action, as a repeater it shoots as well as a single shot. Last year at some military demos, Army Rangers, USMC Scout Snipers, Canadian Army, and a few other agencies fired the Twolf. Most guys shot at a rock that was about 18" diameter at 1200 yards, not many of them missed even with the stiff cross wind. Near the end one of the fellows said that 1200 was too easy with the rifle and I found him a rock at (I still remember) 1391 M with a Leica Vector laser (WOW!). I gave him the dope, he put it on and was about two feet left (not enough wind), perfect elevation. He held a bit right and smoked the rock. The rifle made a stop at Ft. Benning and Ft. Carson and was shot by Chuck Mawinney (Double WOW!) I heard he was making first shot hits on iron maidens out to 1500 yards! Just recently two local police snipers shot the very well shot rifle and got a 3 shot group at 600 of 2.2" the other fellow shot 3 into a group about 3" high by 7" wide at 1000 with a pretty good cross wind. I have shot some amazing groups but I won't brag. They shoot real nice and look even better.

Steve

Steve

Please brag all you want, I don't mind, everyone knows you are a well accomplished shooter.

I assume you were shooting the 250 grain matchking? Have you tried the 300 grain matchkings at all??? If so how was the accuracy compared to the 250 grain sierra's?

SR 90,

Most of the shooting I do is with the 250 Scenar. It is much easier to get Lapua bullets in Canada than it is to get Sierra. There is very little going on as far as large bore (over .30) long range or target shooting thus very little demand for big match bullets. I have 500 of the 300 gr MK, some time this weekend I am going to give them a workout, up till this point I have fired less than 30 of them just to get some approximate powder charges. I have a box of 50 Sierra 250's that I am going to mess with as well, but I can't buy them up here so what is the point.

Steve

I am mostly interested in the 300 grain sierra anyway. Please let me know how your testing goes with the 300 Matchking.

thanks.

sr90,
congrats on the 338, after reading your first post and viewing the sight i emailed about te porcedures on the 338, it's been about four days now so i'll try again tonight.
just wondering is the delay due to the army still using them? and is this an appropriate rifle for a newbie?
thanks,

Grandad,

Ross' computer crashed the hard-drive last thursday. He got it back and last night I helped him configure his e-mail. I am sure he will respond soon, however he had LOTS of mail and will answer in order.

We are leaving in 24 hours for some preliminary military demos, the main rifle testing takes place in October I believe, hope to have the rifles back by the end of November.

Steve
www.prairiegunworks.com

Steve

I was wondering if you guys are going to have any once fired 338 Lapua brass that you would be willing to sell for a good price?
wink.gif

I was also wondering which scopes you guys are using on the t-wolves during the demo's??

grandadmorgan

The rifles are being demoed for the Canadian Army and won't be done until around the first of Nov, is what I heard.

I have practiced a lot with my 308 win out to 1000 yards and feel I am more than ready to go with the big 338 Lapua cartridge.

As far as being a beginners rifle,

It is not and here's why:

1. If you are new to longrangeshooting I would highly reccommend you shoot something smaller than the 338 lapua. The 308 is a very good round and there is a ton of information on it, ammo is cheap, the recoil is hardly anything, and the barrel life is outstanding. Where the Lapua barrel life is a lot less, the recoil is very heavy (I'm not sure how it will be with the muzzle brake as I have never shot a 338 lapua).

2. With the 338 Lapua you will want to reload unless you want to spend $60.00 for a box of 20 rounds.
frown.gif

3. But, if you mean a "beginners rifle" for shooting past 1000 yards then I would say yes.

[ 09-05-2002: Message edited by: sr90 ]

[ 09-05-2002: Message edited by: sr90 ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.