stepping down from 300 mag to 308 5r remington

big mike 2121

OK, I know im gonna catch a lil grief from the 300 win mag guys, but, I have decided to get the remington 700 ss in .308 instead of 300 win mag. Just dont see the need for the 300, I want to both target shoot and whitetail hunt with the gun, so im getting the 308 instead. I know the recoil of the 300 can be tamed with a brake, but i can use the xtra 200 bux and upgrade my scope choices.

but i can use the xtra 200 bux and upgrade my scope choices.

You are not going to get any flack from me - glad to hear you came to your senses. Not only will you save on powder you are getting a caliber that should go twice as many rounds before needing to rebarrel. I see too many people building/shooting rifles that are way more than they really need. Relax and enjoy as it's tough to argue with a 308.

I am a big fan of the .300WM but I too cannot give anyone a hard time for an honest and wise decision. The .308 has proven itself in the shooting and hunting world.

Good luck, enjoy, and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

I agree completely. I am doing the exact same thing. I had a 300WSM that I fussed with and fussed with. It shot good, but the powder usage and other variables just put me into the decision to go back to the .308. I will be using 208 A-max for the long shots on bigger game and 178 Hornady BTHP for varmint and target. Can't wait to get the new barrel screwed on. Good decision!

Tank

P.S. My cousin has a Lapua we can use for the really looooong shots! ;)

OK, I know im gonna catch a lil grief from the 300 win mag guys, but, I have decided to get the remington 700 ss in .308 instead of 300 win mag. Just dont see the need for the 300, I want to both target shoot and whitetail hunt with the gun, so im getting the 308 instead. I know the recoil of the 300 can be tamed with a brake, but i can use the xtra 200 bux and upgrade my scope choices.

getting a good scope is never a mistake. you don't say where you are or what you are going to shoot at. i shoot against 308s in matches all the time. after the .222 , the 308 and then 300 win mag. i have found to be the most fogiving rounds to load for. enjoy

Well, I bet none of the critters you listed will be able to tell the difference between the two cartridges. And the 308Winchester loves Varget powder!

Scott

I only have two centerfire rifles, but one is a 308 the other is a 300WM. They are both Remington 700's with manners stocks. The only thing you are giving up with the 308 is range. Since you mentioned 208's you must also know about R-17. The velocity we have been getting are 30-06 like sometimes better. If I had to just pick one it would be the 300, but I can't fault you for going the other way.

Good choice, I used to be a 308 hater..they were boring, nothing exciting at all! Now I have three in my safe.

Boring, because they are easy to load for, they shoot everything well!

Boring, because they have light recoil, burn less powder, brass in cheaper and on and on.

I shoot my 308 more than any other gun, you can shoot to 1200 yards for fun. They teach you to read the wind so when you switch to a 300 mag, it seems easy to a 1000yrds.

I suggest the 175 smk or the nosler cc. They shoot the same. Varget for powder and win brass. Start around 44gr at a mag length on 2.800. The smk and cc handle the jump just fine.

Even though you do not need it, I recommend a brake, let's you spot your shots at 300 yards easy.

Willys

Well, I have the 5R in 300winmag, but you still won't get any grief from me! I went with the 300 because I hope to be using it on a big elk in the next year or two. The 308 is a great cartridge and I'm sure it will do everything you need it to do. The more time you spend on our forum you will see that we are not like some of the other forums, we don't give grief and ridicule to less experience shooters or people who make caliber choices someone may not agree with. So, I'm glad you decided on the 308, I have a friend that shoots with me who has that same rifle and it is a shooter. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts