Stationary or mildly mobile rifle rest in the field ?

ol mike

What do you guys that shoot from stands/hides use for a rifle rest?

I am in a hunting lease here in the southeast -we basically hunt over planted food plots or feeders that throw corn/protein etc. just too many people to be able to hike and hunt.
Anyway just wondering what you guys who hunt like this use to shoot off of ?
I see Boyd has a heck of a shooting rest .
Thanks Mike

Mike,

Take a look here: Rapid Access Targeting System (R.A.T.S.) By Dog-Gon-Hit Review

I've carried this unit around the sage brush simulating coyote hunting conditions enough to have faith in its use when the time actually arrives to go shoot some coyotes.

I made a couple of small mods to make it fully satisfy my personal preferences.

It works great with rigs from my SIG-556 (AR-15 type) through up to an 8 pound 338 RUM and 10 pound 270 Win sportier.

It has a bit of a problem with extremely front heavy rigs such as my 17 pound 30" barrel with massive brake 375 Allen Magnum and my long front heavy 270 Allen Mag. These are extreme longrange rigs and are shot prone w/bipod.

When set up properly I'd be confident with it beyond 450 yards or so. We'll see for sure one of these first days.

It's worth consideration.

Roy

I just use a set of shooting sticks in a sitting position...super light easy to carry and worl really well out to say 500 yards or so. Shoot my 338 lapua of a bipod or a pack in the prone position, but have shot it off sticks out to 300 with good results. Something else that works extremly well is a good camera tripod modified to hold the foreend of your stock they have a few on snipers hide and they are awesome.

Jordan

I shoot off a tripod setup thats made by a guy in lancaster.

7508d1df.jpg

Here is a video of a friend shooting off one standing up.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj45/bigben8011/880ydshot.mp4

I use a straddle bag for the window and a camera tripod for the rear of the rifle. The camera tripod has a standard rear benchrest bag that is slightly under filled. It just sits on top of the flat part of the tripod. I also have a Primos quick tripod that works well. Shot multiple deer out to 1003 yards with this setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.