Starting build need opinon and help!!!!!!

idahohunter4

So I'm settling to build off a tikka t3 in .308:)

I need help picking an optic. I cant afford a nightforce or any thing my price range is around 300 to 400 dollars.

Any suggestions for a stalk? Need this to be under 200

And is there anything else for a long range gun?

So I'm settling to build off a tikka t3 in .308:)
Have you already got a complete barreled action? Complete gun? If all you have is an action, instead of going with .308 I'd say give the .260 a long hard look as it is ballistically superior in every way and still very economical to shoot.

I need help picking an optic. I cant afford a nightforce or any thing my price range is around 300 to 400 dollars.
In that price range you aren't going to find much. The best advice would be to save for an extra month or so, so that you can at least afford a decent Viper PST.

Any suggestions for a stalk? Need this to be under 200
??? a "stalk"? Stock? Under 200.00 you won't find much at all. If the Tikka will fit a Sendero Stock maybe you can find a used one between 200.00-250.00 and they are very decent stocks.

And is there anything else for a long range gun?

Lots of good ideas for getting started on a budget in this thread here.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...etting-started-but-intimidated-dollars-80244/

WildRose pretty much hi the nail on the head.
I will add that If you can, spent less on your rifle and more on the optics. In LR hunting optics and handloading are as, or more important than caliber or rifle quality.

I know that its good to start off with a good base, but you'll be throwing money away without a good scope.

I put together a cheap coyote hunting rifle. Found a Rem SPS 700 DM for $515 CAD in .243 win, spent more on the scope... a voertex viper pst 2.5-10x44 @ 699. they had some leupold mounts in the bargin bin so I got those for $30. I take my bi-pod off my other rifles for now. Set of dies was $50. this is all Canadian priceing, so between 20-30% more than what it can be had for in the states. $1295 for that complete set up, all brand new. Ive shot this combo out to 800 yards and held it in right around MOA.

WildRose pretty much hi the nail on the head.
I will add that If you can, spent less on your rifle and more on the optics. In LR hunting optics and handloading are as, or more important than caliber or rifle quality.

I know that its good to start off with a good base, but you'll be throwing money away without a good scope.

I put together a cheap coyote hunting rifle. Found a Rem SPS 700 DM for $515 CAD in .243 win, spent more on the scope... a voertex viper pst 2.5-10x44 @ 699. they had some leupold mounts in the bargin bin so I got those for $30. I take my bi-pod off my other rifles for now. Set of dies was $50. this is all Canadian priceing, so between 20-30% more than what it can be had for in the states. $1295 for that complete set up, all brand new. Ive shot this combo out to 800 yards and held it in right around MOA.
A good rule of thumb given me many years ago by one of the best shooters I have ever known was this.. .

"If you can't afford to spend at least as much on the optic as you did on the rifle you need to be patient and save more".

It's served me very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.