"standard projectile"

bedrok

I think I might have to be put in a rest home 'cause of my memory but what is the weight of the B.C. "standard projectile" and I would assume the G5, G7, etc. projectiles are the same as G1. I honestly can't remember if it's an ounce or a pound.

It's not really important.

The importance of a 'standard projectile' is it's profile (shape). It doesn't matter what caliber, or weight it is. The standard projectile has a 'standard drag curve' that we reference with other bullets. The sectional density of the bullet is used to account for the caliber and mass of the bullet.

You could say the standard caliber and mass of the standard projectile is 1 inch and 1 pound, giving it a sectional density of 1.000, but the real answer is that it doesn't matter in the context of how the ballistic equations of motion are solved.

-Bryan

Bryan,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my simple minded queation. It's an honor to have a guy of your intelligence take the time. And I'm definitley buying your book. I was assuming the heavier the projectile, as long as the shape and density were identical, the less deceleration, and if you built a bullet the same shape AND weight as a "standard", it would have a B.C. of 1. And that you could easily build a bullet with a B.C. greater than 1 by making it heavier OR more aerodynamic. If, for instance, the standard G1 projectile was assigned a weight of 180 grains then most 180 gr. boat tails with long ogives would have a G1 B.C. of almost 2.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.