Stainless or fluted blued?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by nodakor, Jan 24, 2013.

1. nodakor

nodakor Member

I've decided on a Cooper repeater in 6.5x284 with synthetic stock. My only decision is stainless or blued fluted barrel.
    Both barrels have the same diameter and contour.
    Is there any benefit to a non-fluted barrel? Is a non-fluted barrel more accurate?

Thank!

2. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

The benefit is lighter rifle weight. They can be accurate. And they look neat. I dunno who makes Cooper barrels, but most of them shoot very well. Fluted barrels must be stress relieved before and after fluting.

3. deertroy1

deertroy1 Well-Known Member

All pictures I've seen of Coopers the flutes seem to center on the stock line. This leaves a wide gap between the stock and the barrel. I don't like them that way but prefer the raised portion of the barrel between the flutes to center on the stock line. This is just a personel preference thing. Anyone know why Cooper does this? I recently ordered a new all stainless Jackson Hunter and specified a non-fluted barrel for this very reason. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. nodakor

nodakor Member

Thanks for the info and opinions. I'm leaning toward the Jackson hunter with stainless not fluted. Now I just need to find one or wait 6-10 months for an order.

5. Cornfield Flats

Cornfield Flats Active Member

Fluting has no real accuracy benefit but it sure looks cool.

6. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Heavier barrels are stiffer and tend to be more stable and consistent. A non-fluted barrel will be slightly heavier than than a fluted one of the same contour and a little stiffer. If you really like the flutes then get one. I would just go with the standard non-fluted,especially on the lighter barrles.

7. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that a fluted barrel of the same diameter is any stiffer, but a fluted barrel "of the same weight" is. i.e., a fluted #5 may weigh in about the same as a non-fluted #4 but will be stiffer. A fluted barrel also dissipates heat a little better. The stainless will outlast the chrome moly by a little. The best bet might be a chrome moly, fluted (lighter weight) with melonite treatment which will outlast either. There is "potential" for losing accuracy by fluting if it isn't done properly but I wouldn't be too concerned about that when it is done by any of the good barrel makers.....Rich

8. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Yup, agree