Stainless or fluted blued?

nodakor

I've decided on a Cooper repeater in 6.5x284 with synthetic stock. My only decision is stainless or blued fluted barrel.
Both barrels have the same diameter and contour.
Is there any benefit to a non-fluted barrel? Is a non-fluted barrel more accurate?

Thank!

The benefit is lighter rifle weight. They can be accurate. And they look neat. I dunno who makes Cooper barrels, but most of them shoot very well. Fluted barrels must be stress relieved before and after fluting.

All pictures I've seen of Coopers the flutes seem to center on the stock line. This leaves a wide gap between the stock and the barrel. I don't like them that way but prefer the raised portion of the barrel between the flutes to center on the stock line. This is just a personel preference thing. Anyone know why Cooper does this? I recently ordered a new all stainless Jackson Hunter and specified a non-fluted barrel for this very reason.
confused.gif

wm_259733_zps318fe201.jpg

Thanks for the info and opinions. I'm leaning toward the Jackson hunter with stainless not fluted. Now I just need to find one or wait 6-10 months for an order.

Heavier barrels are stiffer and tend to be more stable and consistent. A non-fluted barrel will be slightly heavier than than a fluted one of the same contour and a little stiffer. If you really like the flutes then get one. I would just go with the standard non-fluted,especially on the lighter barrles.

I'm not so sure that a fluted barrel of the same diameter is any stiffer, but a fluted barrel "of the same weight" is. i.e., a fluted #5 may weigh in about the same as a non-fluted #4 but will be stiffer. A fluted barrel also dissipates heat a little better. The stainless will outlast the chrome moly by a little. The best bet might be a chrome moly, fluted (lighter weight) with melonite treatment which will outlast either. There is "potential" for losing accuracy by fluting if it isn't done properly but I wouldn't be too concerned about that when it is done by any of the good barrel makers.....Rich

I'm not so sure that a fluted barrel of the same diameter is any stiffer, but a fluted barrel "of the same weight" is. i.e., a fluted #5 may weigh in about the same as a non-fluted #4 but will be stiffer. A fluted barrel also dissipates heat a little better. The stainless will outlast the chrome moly by a little. The best bet might be a chrome moly, fluted (lighter weight) with melonite treatment which will outlast either. There is "potential" for losing accuracy by fluting if it isn't done properly but I wouldn't be too concerned about that when it is done by any of the good barrel makers.....Rich

Yup, agree

Heavier barrels are stiffer and tend to be more stable and consistent. A non-fluted barrel will be slightly heavier than than a fluted one of the same contour and a little stiffer. If you really like the flutes then get one. I would just go with the standard non-fluted,especially on the lighter barrles.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.