SS10X42, Wotach or Millett Buck Gold-do you have experience?

JDogg

Okay guys I've narrowed my scope choices down to 3 that are within my price range. I know they are not the cream of the crop. But if any of you have experience with any of these PLEASE chime in. I will be shooting my LR308 with hopes of killing to 6-700 and maybe some fun shooting to 1000.I Want to use the turret for the elevation, but the reticle for the windage if that helps you guys help me decide. Also I want large easy to read turrets. I have not done any long range shooting I'm just getting set up for it. I have read alot, I just need to start getting my feet wet.

Wotach-probably my favorite right now because of the MOA hash marks on the reticle. MOA clicks with me, and I wouldn't have to learn something new. The downside is the MOA is true at 9x power, which seems a little weird?

Millet Buck Gold- I don't know much about them other than what I have read. I have heard that mostly they are very tough but sometimes a lemon gets through(also read that about wotach)

SWFA SS10x42-From what I have read, probably the most bullet proof. I also can get a good deal on a new one that would save me about 75$ off SWFA price. I probably would have bought this one already but the fixed 10x kinda scares me. Where I hunt its just as possible to have a deer 10yds in front of you as 500yds away. How bad does that 10x limit you in an up close scenerio? Also how good is the 10x at 700 to 1000yds? is it too little?

Anyone have any other ideas in the 400 and less range? I know its really not a good price range to buy a LRH scope in, but right now its all I got to work with and I want to do the best I can with it.

Okay guys I've narrowed my scope choices down to 3 that are within my price range. I know they are not the cream of the crop. But if any of you have experience with any of these PLEASE chime in. I will be shooting my LR308 with hopes of killing to 6-700 and maybe some fun shooting to 1000.I Want to use the turret for the elevation, but the reticle for the windage if that helps you guys help me decide. Also I want large easy to read turrets. I have not done any long range shooting I'm just getting set up for it. I have read alot, I just need to start getting my feet wet.

Wotach-probably my favorite right now because of the MOA hash marks on the reticle. MOA clicks with me, and I wouldn't have to learn something new. The downside is the MOA is true at 9x power, which seems a little weird?

Millet Buck Gold- I don't know much about them other than what I have read. I have heard that mostly they are very tough but sometimes a lemon gets through(also read that about wotach)

SWFA SS10x42-From what I have read, probably the most bullet proof. I also can get a good deal on a new one that would save me about 75$ off SWFA price. I probably would have bought this one already but the fixed 10x kinda scares me. Where I hunt its just as possible to have a deer 10yds in front of you as 500yds away. How bad does that 10x limit you in an up close scenerio? Also how good is the 10x at 700 to 1000yds? is it too little?

Anyone have any other ideas in the 400 and less range? I know its really not a good price range to buy a LRH scope in, but right now its all I got to work with and I want to do the best I can with it.
At under 50yds you don't need a scope at all. You can just sight down along the side of the scope or barrel and shoot within 3" every time with just a little bit of practice. You can also put an iron or dot type CQB sight off to the side if you are more comfortable doing that.

If you bump into a deer at 10 yds and have your variable power scope set on 10x or higher and you are in heavy cover you'll never be able to dial it down in time to get a shot anyhow.

Of those you mention the one I have the most faith in are the SWFA SS's. I'd say save your money for an extra month though and get the M model.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R...w=SWFA+SUPER+SNIPER&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Personally for what you want I'd probably go with the straight 16x. Or save my money for an extra month or two and try to at least get up to a Leupold or Zeiss conquest in the 14-16x range.

You might want to look into the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40. I have one on my short mag and it works great. You can get into one of those in your price range. They are really nice scopes!!

Wild Rose, you have been very helpful and willing to share your experience with me. You are also very good at clarifying the actual decision to be made,Thanks!!! I like your thinking about just learning to shoot at super close ranges. And after thinking about it Ive done the same thing with archery so I'm sure I could teach myself to do it with a rifle. And I'm really only worried about 20 yds and in. I know i could find the animal in the scope beyond that. I played with one the other day in the store and was looking at items 10 ft away to see how difficult it is.

One question though what is the difference in the M model?

Thanks again for your help.

Wild Rose, you have been very helpful and willing to share your experience with me. You are also very good at clarifying the actual decision to be made,Thanks!!! I like your thinking about just learning to shoot at super close ranges. And after thinking about it Ive done the same thing with archery so I'm sure I could teach myself to do it with a rifle. And I'm really only worried about 20 yds and in. I know i could find the animal in the scope beyond that. I played with one the other day in the store and was looking at items 10 ft away to see how difficult it is.

One question though what is the difference in the M model?

Thanks again for your help.
The HD/M model is built to mil spec for durability.

I went onto SWFA to see how much a SS 10x scope was. If we are looking at the same model, it costs about $800. For the money I would buy a Vortex PST FFP which is about $850. Vortex has great customer service and there scopes have a transferable lifetime warranty. Being first focal plain you can use the redicle at any magnification power to range. Check it out.

Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope

PM sent. There are some nice deals on used scopes at Snipers Hide.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I think I'm going to give the SS a try. I have a line on a new one for 229, so even if I don't like it I think I should be able to get my money out of it. Plus I have enough toys that I could probably find something else to put it on.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.