SS Tumbling and link to increased extreme spread?

Rockfish Dave

anyone seen an increase in extreme spread by cleaning with Stainless Steel media over tradional cob or shell media?

Last edited:
anyone seen an increase in extreme spread by cleaning with Stainless Steel media over tradional cob or shell media?

I've not seen any indication of that. I've been SS tumbling for about a year now and have 1000+ reloads since with no noticed increase in ES/SD across several calibers.

I've seen increased ES when using a sonic cleaner because it can get the neck too clean and cause uneven neck tension/friction. I don't have any experience with ss media though.

I've seen increased ES when using a sonic cleaner because it can get the neck too clean and cause uneven neck tension/friction. I don't have any experience with ss media though.

Do you mean going from a different cleaning method to ultrasonic or between ultrasonic loads?

I noticed it when I used the ultra sonic by its self and I cleaned the brass very, very well. Its like it cleans the brass "too much" to where it becomes rough on the inside of the neck. As long as you don't over clean the brass it isn't an issue. Now I only use the ultra sonic for removing the bulk of the build-up and then use corn cob media(I am going to switch to ss soon) to finish the cleaning and polish the brass.

I've not seen any indication of that. I've been SS tumbling for about a year now and have 1000+ reloads since with no noticed increase in ES/SD across several calibers.
What/how do you separate brass from pins? How long do you wait when air drying brass? Thanks!

Cleaning in a SS pin tumbler for long periods of time can cause issues. You will get super clean brass but that's well beyond what's needed. I found that tumbling for more than about 45min will remove all the carbon from inside of the necks which many reloaders feel is undesirable. It can also cause the case moths to get dinged up a bit. I've talked to reloaders who tumble for 2 hrs and that definitely causes deformation of the case mouth but it can generally be corrected by using a chamfer & deburring tool.

Using a SS pin tumbler, conservatively, has never caused any issues that I could detect. I might add that I only clean cases occasionally. I see no reason to clean a case that has just been fired and only needs a quick wipe of the case neck exterior. 0000 steel wool works great for that.

Recent Posts