Springfield Armory Scope Questions

crissmorgan

This is my first forum post. About 15 years ago, I bought myself a Remington Model 700VS in .308. and a Springfield Armory scope for it. The scope has range finding reticles for a cartridge going 2550 FPS, out to 1,000 meters. I live in South Louisiana and have never really had an opportunity to shoot this rifle at ranges over 400 yards, but it shot surprisingly well at that distance with handloads I had worked up for it. During the years I have had this scope, I have heard several negative remarks about it. Can anyone advise me on the reasons for these remarks? Mostly they were about poor performance or poor accuracy and lack of endurance, none of which has shown up with my scope yet. Can anyone tell me whether this scope is capable of being a good one for extremely long range shooting? Not necessarily long range hunting, but it would be nice to know I can take really long range shots at say, 1,000 yards at rifle ranges. Where I do 99% of my hunting, a shot at deer further than 200 yards would be a rare event, so most of the long range shooting I intend to do will be a a rifle range 45 miles from where I live. Any other thoughts and remarks about this scope/rifle combination will be appreciated too. Also any load information for the longer ranges would be nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.