Spotting scopes

I have a leupold gold ring I use for f-class. I used somebody elses Kowa that was way better. I think the cost isn't far out of your range just depends on what model and eye piece you get.

Brent

on a good day, there are no bad optics, they all look good.
however on a bad day, or in low light, is where the difference will show up. there are long eye relief eyepieces for eye glass wearers. select a scope where the eyepiece can be changed.
also, the e.d. coatings arent worth the cost for a hunting scope.
i personaly wouldnt hesitate buying a used scope.
weve bought lots of them on ebay.
quality scopes like the older kowa tsn 70mm models can be bought for a fraction of current cost.
im still using a pair of B&L balscopes in a bracket. they are 60s vintage scopes, and are as good as new.

I just bought a Nikon Prostaff 20-60x82 angled body for 478.00 delivered. I did a lot of research and shopping and from what I can tell the Nikon is superior in every way to the Bushnell Excursion. Go to ManVenture.com and have thenm email you their sale price.

Several of us at work brought in our spotting scopes to compare them. Leica, leupold, nikon, etc.. The decision was unanimous that the nikon was the overall winner for the bang for your buck. The leica was BARELY clearer, but not enough to justify the cost.

Was your test conducted in daylight hours in ample sunlight? If so, try your test the last 15 minutes of daylight or the early in the morning... I bet you have a different opinion of the Leica spotting scope. Those low light conditions is where the difference is seen. On a deer hunt in Nevada with a buddy who had a Leica Televid is where I learned the difference. He could see bucks that were just blobs in my Nikon. In the mid-day, our eyes couldn't see much difference in the two scopes. NJS

Alll newer scopes are being discussed here, but there are older options that you can find that are well within your budget. I would say to try to find an older Bausch & Lomb Balscope Sr. (NOT the balscope zoom) in 20 or preferably 30X.
I have a Kowa 821 but my go to spotter is my Balscope Sr with the 30X eyepiece.
You can pick them up on ebay for 100 to 200 price range.. with the 30x models going higher.
If you know anyone that has one, I challenge you to do a side by side comparison with any of the new stuff currently available.

I have finally convinced the wife that I need to get a spotting scope for myself. My price range is a max of $400.00-$500.00. The spotting scope will have to be a multipurpose scope, that I can use to spot out of my truck as well as hiking the hills.
What are some of the good spotting scopes in this price range that I should be looking for?
I realize that this is not alot of money to spend on a spotting scope, but at this time this is what my budget will allow.
Also should I be looking for one with an angled or straight eye piece?
The power range I have in mind is 20 x 60 x 80 or 15 x 45 x 60 or 20 x 60 x 60.
I know that alot of you guys have owned many different brands. What are some of your likes and dislikes in some of the scopes that you have.
Any advise would be great, and thanks for the help.
Take a look at the50 mm kowa. Not to heavy to carry on a hunt. I prefer the angle model.