Spotting Scopes

Love the NRA Whittington Center great place to learn almost everything about shooting, people are the best and the information you can learn from others is like no where else, if you have a question or problem you can bet someone there has had to deal with it also.

There are a lot of good suggestions here. I'm one to save my money and buy the best I can afford. "Buy once, Cry once"
I think you may be asking too much from any scope. Being able to see bullet impact at that range is going to be greatly a factor of conditions. Are you shooting into dry powdery dirt? Into brush? Into snow? To be able to see the bullet strike you are going to need to have some kind of feedback from the bullet. Whatever it hits may or may not give you that. Plus, as you add power to your magnification, you also magnify mirage, movement and loose clarity.
On our range 1-Mile shoots, we typically have four or five spotters at any given time. Some with cheap scopes, some with Leupold's, Vortex, and even a $4300 Hensoldt. Depending on the day and the conditions, there are many times we hear "No Call" from the spotters.

Hello. I'm using a 338 edge (with a 300gr. MK Sierra bullet @2950 fps), for hunting deer. Can anyone tell me what type of spotting scope to use , to visualize or detect bullet impact @ one mile?
Thanks.

You cannot see bullet holes of impacts at a mile with anything... it is optically impossible.

Even under the very best seeing conditions (overcast, with slight drizzle), you cannot see black bullet holes on white paper at ~600 yds ... and add sunlight and mirage and you cannot see bullet holes at 1/8th that distance.

You cannot see bullet holes of impacts at a mile with anything... it is optically impossible.

Even under the very best seeing conditions (overcast, with slight drizzle), you cannot see black bullet holes on white paper at ~600 yds ... and add sunlight and mirage and you cannot see bullet holes at 1/8th that distance.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about seeing trace and splash, not bullet holes.

I have been shooting long range before I ever located this forum and finally joined the 2K yard club trying to get to the elusive 2 mile club. It's hard to read wind where I live as we always have so much of it. I have both, a Swarovski 25-50X80 and a Vortex Razor 20-60X85. To be quite truthful, I can't notice a bit of difference between the two as far a light, clarity and aberration but, if you act really quickly, Optics Planet is closing out the old style Vortex Razor(which I have) for under $1200.00. This is a steal for a scope of this caliber. I have the angled eyepiece but I imagine they have straight as well. That is just personal preference. Check them out because I don't think anyone here will tell you that you can go wrong on this purchase with a lifetime warranty! Usually you can find a free freight coupon for purchases over $100 and sometimes their running 10%-15% off storewide. Good luck!

Swarovski 25-50X80 and a Vortex Razor 20-60X85. To be quite truthful, I can't notice a bit of difference between the two as far a light, clarity and aberration but, if you act really quickly, Optics Planet is closing out the old style Vortex Razor(which I have) for under $1200.00. This is a steal for a scope of this caliber. coupon for purchases over $100 and sometimes their running 10%-15% off storewide. Good luck!

Same spotter you're talking about ? $1,000 on Ebay If so they have even cheaper used ones;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Raz...h=item48bd578995:g:MX8AAOSwEJ1cLz7A:rk:3:pf:0

Weight is not important. I am hunting from one mountain side to the other. Off the side of state game land road. I have to bushnell space masters spotting scopes put together (binnocular) 60 mms obj. With two 27x wide angle eyepieces. I shot @ a whitetail @1600 yes and must have come close, for it run like hell. My brother was spotting and could not see the bullet impact. I was just wondering if I need more power on an economical spotter, or buy an expensive spotter, or do I need a larger objective? I guess what I want to know if some has used spotters in the field and what they used to see bullet impact. We
Whether they were economical or expensive.
Well Bruce you didn't say where you hunt, but I can tell you the setup you now have is no doubt the most popular setup among long range hunters in PA by a wide margin. Also the twenty seven power you mention are an excellent quality eyepiece, especially for that type distance. Im assuming they are marked 27x@60, 22x@ 50, meaning objective size. Now note that I didn't say they are the best setup you could own, but assuming decent conditions at the time you shot, and no doubt they were for you to find the buck in the first place, would indicate to me that it could well have been a human error on the part of the spotter. First off, at that distance especially, (as a rule), whitetail deer don't go running off after a shot unless they have been hit. And that could explain not seeing the hit. Even with more expensive glasses, side by side on a decent day there will (not) be night and day difference between them and what you have. Differences yes, but they will not make up for lack of experience on part of the user, which I suspect is the issue.
So now your ****ed off, but thats OK with me, get ****ed off, and then think hard about that situation and what ive said. 1600 yards is a very long shot, actually its an extremely long shot, further than any weve killed in almost 50 years of long range hunting. And frankly we have the better glasses as well as the ones you have. What your getting here is valid opinions of scopes, but based on no experience using them for what your doing with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts