spotting scopes

patrick021

still looking at spotting scopes but now between meopta ,zeiss, and swarovski is it worth the differance?

Need more info on your application. Target shooting, hunting, backpacking, digiscoping? Preferred viewing position: prone, sitting, standing? Specific needs for this scope?

Need more info on your application. Target shooting, hunting, backpacking, digiscoping? Preferred viewing position: prone, sitting, standing? Specific needs for this scope?

Bruce, I'm gonna pick your brain too... I too need a new spotting scope for primarily bench rest 100-200 yard work with a sprinkling of game spotting. I need something that won't break my bank but is still durable (because I'm a clutz about dropping stuff). I already have a tripod. and I'd like a zoom scope.

My 30 year old Bushy has about had it......

depending on how good your eyes are you will notice a difference in even the high end stuff as far as clarity is concerned. I went with zeiss when the had the field days but it ends up being almost a toss up as far as glass is concerned. It is more about what focus you like and ergonomics but the best and brightest I tested last year when on my search was the kowa prominar 82 I think scope man that thing was bright but for slightly cheaper I got the zeiss which was a close second.

Sidecar and Patrick, two more questions for both of you.
1. Any vision issues other than near or far sightedness? Especially astigmatism, ocular disease, etc.
2. How important is low light viewing?

Bruce.... At 64 I still see pretty well thanks to Lasic surgery. That makes me have to wear readers when I read but thats pretty common in old farts (like me) anyway. My distance vision is excellent and no, low light isn't an issue with me. My hunting and range sessions are all in normal daylight. If it's an early hunt (like whitetails on my property), I already know their habits and where they will be so I don't need a spotter in that instance.

I guess my prerequisites are as follows...

Needs to be fairly light and compact but needs to accept a tripod or window mount
Needs to be klutz proof and pretty durable.
I prefer an armor coated optic
95% of the time I won't be over 300 yards in viewing distance an d 95% of the time it will be in controlled (range) conditions.
I need enough resolution/clarity to view a 22 caliber impact at 100 yards on a target.

My old Bushy handles all those things but at 30 years old, things are getting worn out. One adjustment for magnification on it, thats it. I like it simple.

Don't over look the Vortex. They have come a long way in quality. I recently had a chance to compare a top of the line $2,600 Swarovski right next to a Vortex Razor HD and the Razor was just as good if not better and was $1,000 less! They also have a lower end that is very good at the ranges you are talking about.

I am tagging along as I need to make a spotting scope purchase as well. I have become a full-on believer in high-end riflescopes. I am struggling to do the same with a spotter (hard to drop the $$$$, but I will if it provides tangible value).

I need something for both LR target shooting and hunting (out to 1000). Hunting will be a mix of both evaluating animals as well as spotting shots (with a partner, not alone). Assume mostly prone with some bench mixed in. I would really like a technical explanation of what I gain when I go from $1K to $2K to $3K along with what manufacturer stands out in each price range. I've seen Bruce's posts on other topics so my expectations are really high!:D No pressure:D

Thanks in advance - In all seriousness, I really appreciate the technical insight into sport optics as I know what I like in-use, but have no clue what makes it that way.

I guess thats my questions too. What makes a 500 buck optic different from a 1000 dollar and so on ans so forth and not manufacturers hype either but the 'real deal'.

My ancient Bushnell (Basch and Lomb) is and always has been very clear and reliable and I'm sure very ancient in technical advancement compared to present day offerings, but I prefer simple over complex. Complex breaks, simple don't.

I have no desire to pay for a name if I can get a quality optic with longevity for less.

I guess thats my questions too. What makes a 500 buck optic different from a 1000 dollar and so on ans so forth and not manufacturers hype either but the 'real deal'.

My ancient Bushnell (Basch and Lomb) is and always has been very clear and reliable and I'm sure very ancient in technical advancement compared to present day offerings, but I prefer simple over complex. Complex breaks, simple don't.

I have no desire to pay for a name if I can get a quality optic with longevity for less.

Take a long look at one of these...

spt-lp-61060-m_xlarge.jpg

leupold-golden-ring-12-40x60-hd-spotting-scope

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.