Spotting Scope Help

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by bdeardorf, Jan 16, 2012.

1. bdeardorf

bdeardorf Member

Looking to get a new spotting scope this spring and need help on selection. Really trying to keep cost below $500. Unit will be used for hunting and target shooting at the farm (300yds - 400yds max). I know you get what you pay for but unless I sell a gun, I can not spend much over $500 this year.

So far I have read good things on the following Bushnell 20-60x80 Legend Ultra HD, Leupold 15-30x50 Compact Golden Ring Spotter, Leupold 20-60x80 SX-1 Ventana Spotter, Leupold 20-60x80 Green Ring Seqoia Spotter (this one is discontinued and the closeout price is only about $350), and Vortex 15-45x65 Viper.

Which one of the above would you pick or do you have another model in the price range?

Thanks for the help.

2. pressman

pressman Well-Known Member

Really any of them should work pretty well to 400 yards. unless you are wanting to see bullet holes that far. i have a mark 4 Leupold with the tmr reticule in it. but that is over you budget. but i would probably go with a lupy just because of the warranty and customer service.

3. bdeardorf

bdeardorf Member

I am favoring the Leupold's. I do want to see bullet holes at 300yds, 400yds may be pushing it.