Spotting Scope Help: Leupold GLHD vs Kowa TSN-662

ZachC

I trying to make my first spotting scope purchase that I will primary use in the field hunting mulies & elk and I will mainly be packing it in my day pack. I can get...

Leupold GLHD 12-40X60 for $750
vs
Kowa TSN-662 with 25x eyepiece for $500

I realize the Leupold has HD and I have read up on what HD does, this Kowa doesn't have it. And the Kowa has a fixed eyepiece magnification (which I could swap out for the 20-60 power). I can't afford more than the $750 and this will need last me for awhile. I have never looked thru a Kowa either. For the price of the Kowa I could could get a quality tripod too. Is the Leupold worth it? Advice needed on which is better. Thx!

I'd throw my vote in for the Kowa. I see more of them on the line at camp perry more than any other spotter. It's solid for the price point. 66mm lens will help out with exit pupil and resolution once you upgrade eyepieces.

As the OP has figured out, HD is not a standard term and can mean essentially nothing. In this case (Leupold), HD means low dispersion glass ("ED"). It makes a big difference in image resolution over field of view. Make sure the Leupold scope is the HD version. if so, the two scopes are not in the same class.

I've spent some time behind the Leupold recently. The image has excellent contrast and resolution. Eye relief is excellent - I can see very well with glasses on. It is essentially what military sniper teams have been using (minus the ranging reticle) for years. I've also done side-by-side tests and the Leupold wins against non-ED glass hands down. That price is very good. I would definitely go that route over the Kowa.

I would also get the Slik Sprint Pro EZ tripod. There is nothing better for hunting at that price.

Even the "flagship" leupold spotters are 100% JUNK. I started with a gold ring spotter, the resolution of the leupold on 20x was equivalent to my swarovski on 60x.

In fact, I have purchased the very "best" of what leupold have made including rifle scopes and EVERY leupold product I have owned has malfunctioned/broken/failed, etc.

Buy a Kowa, no question.

I have used Kowa and like them very much. That also seems to be a very good price as B&H in NYC wants 580 just for the body, no eye piece.

After you make your purchase of whichever I would really like to know where you found the Kowa at 500. I need a good scope as well.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts