Spotting Scope for Packing?

Propdoc03

I am looking for some input on which spotting scope I should consider. I am looking for a compact/lightweight one for packing into the hunt and hopefully something that wont break the bank. Is a straight one preferred?

Thanks in advance,
pd

Thanks Willy. So sounds like 30X should be enough for glassing for deer out to 800 yards or so, 1000 at most.

Which do you favor, straight or angled?

Dennis

spotter

My pard and I have an Zeiss 85mm Diascope and the Nikon 13-30x50mm ED Fieldscope. The only gripe I have against the little Nikon is that it would be nice to have an little sunshade on it. Otherwise it is for the dollar the best scope I have purchased and I've had Leica, Nikons, Zeiss, and also Swaro ats 65.

It is light, very nice resolution and can obsserve game farther than 1000. In fact today we used it for observation on a 9"x14" plate we shoot at 1200 yds.

I'm so happy with this little scope that I usually rely soley on it now for all shooting and hunting/scouting observation functions, and it's an straight eyepiece. I just cannot get over the utility and bang for the buck I'm getting out of this fieldscope, and the high end Nikon spotters in general make me smile when compared to the spendier Euro spotters.

Great value and very good performance.

Guys,

I agree with your choice!!

My first recommendation. It weighs 20 ounces with eyepiece but boy does it work good. I have the angled eyepiece.

This year I think Nikon has made their best spotters ever. You are missing out. The ED Fieldscope models are all winners.

We sell them for $589, new in box, but I'm backordered right now.

Scott

Eye Piece

Propdoc03,
I can not advise on a the eye piece..I have not used the angled. I would think that it would be more comfortable while glassing sitting down. I will let some one with more experience answer.

Willys

Guys, thanks for the great info. Sounds like this is what I am after. I take it you should be able to see a miss on a deer at 800 yards or so with the 30X provided it is not in the brush.

pd

nikon

800 yds is a piece of cake with this Nikon Fieldscope. Get one and enjoy the lightweight performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.