spotting scope for 600 yrds

Gitthatdawg

Ok i know this is prob. the 1,000,000,000 time this has come up but i cant find the info i am looking for. I am shooting out to 600 yrds. at our local range what power spotting scope is needed to see the holes in paper. the only thing i have found is that you cant see the holes from that far with any power. If this is the case would a 20 to 60 by 80 work for long range shng as a norm for say out to 400 to 500 yrds?

Magnification is important, but more important is the quality of the glass, and the atmospheric conditions. Bore size can be an important factor too.
I would encourage you to use some shoot-N-see targets as it will enlarge the area around the bullet hole.
I have a Leupold 12-40HD spotting scope, and I will be soon be using a Vortex HD Razor, with both eye-pieces.
Most of the time when I am practicing at distance I shoot at steel painted white, and in good conditions I can see hits beyond 1200 yards with my rifle scope.

The only time I have every seen bullet holes in a paper target at 1000 yards, was at Missoula, during the sighter period. I saw three bullets holes, then the conditions changed and I couldn't see them anymore. Bore was 6.5 and the scope was a S&B PM2 5-25 with ART Reticle.

thanks I shoot a zeiss 4.5 x 14 x 50 so the scope is ok. i have shot out to 300 yrds. but i am now wanting to start the 600 yrd line stuff and under for hunting. i have been looking at the buris land mark 20-60-80 but was told that i would not be able to see the .277 and 30 cal holes at that distance do to a lot of things. Iwas just wandering if i had been told right? 250 to 300 will be my range for the spotting scope. thanks for the info.

I just got one of the Vortex Razor HD Spotting scopes, and I can't wait to check this one out--It has received some very high marks in the reviews I have read.

yea i am sure it will be nice. Do you think you will be able to see the holes at 1000yrds in paper? Or is it just the splash on steel.

I can tell you that my buddy bought a cheap spotting scope a "barisca" You have a hard time seing holes on paper at 100 yards. Get the best you can afford, if you don't think it will be good enough save some more money till you can get what you want. Also I know my cabelas in IN has a area set up you can test spotting scopes. Its inside but you can look all over and some I have looked at are night and day diffrent.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.