Spotting scope - angled or straight?

Spotting scope - angled or straight eyepiece?

• Angled

Votes: 592 46.2%
  • Straight

Votes: 689 53.8%

• Total voters
I would love to run two equal scopes one angled and one straight side by side for a whole week of hunting. That would be my true measure. It would be cool if someone had the resources to do it and do a write up on it. I would if someone would provide the glass.

Angled is the most versatile. I have both and you can line up behind an angled scope the same as a straight scope. Cant line up naturally to the side with a straight scope.

My Kowa has the strait eyepiece, but almost all the others I had before were angled. I just reached a point in life that I had trouble getting a good focus out of the angled ones. I think it's due to wearing bifocals. But it just could be me. The first Kowa I used was a 77mm angled one, and it worked better than the other angled ones I'd used, but still found myself moving my head around trying to get a sharp picture. Then I tried a few with strait eyepieces and never had a problem. I also liked using the strait one better from a prone shooting position.
gary

Just sold my Swaro Angled ATS 80 HD and purchased a Nightforce TS-82 HD straight.

First impressions are I will be trading for another angled unit again. I have only used it from the truck window so far, but that is where I do a good portion of my spotting and straight is a pain compared to the angled from a window mount.

I think if some of the straight voters would try an angled the poll would be much different.

JMO
Jeff

years back many pa long range hunters used very large ww2 military binnoculars.
most popular were the 10x80 german flak glasses and the 20x120 battleship
glasses which are mostly jap. all the 10x80s are angled and some of the 20x120s are also. ive owned and used both types both being angled for a few years.
when your looking uphill angles are nicer. looking down or straight across the valley i prefer straight thru glasses. if you have any interest in using your scope for a twin application by all means buy the straight scope as angles
dont work for that purpose.

I have both, and learned to deal with craning my neck on the straight. the angled is a little easier to use when in the field. straight is good for me on the range. though i take both hunting usually.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.