Spot & Stalk or Ambush

Spot & Stalk or Ambush For Western Deer?

• MOSTLY - Spot & Stalk

Votes: 999 75.4%
  • MOSTLY - Ambush

Votes: 326 24.6%

• Total voters
hunting bucks/finding bucks to hunt --- spot and stalk

killing a buck you already have located - sit back and ambush especially considering the long range game.

I started my dismal hunting career as a bowhunter. I learned a lot of tactics and animal ways and means. I use the same bowhunting tactics for rifle hunting and have had great luck doing so.
I bowhunted 9 years before buying a hunting rifle.

Until I'm in better shape, it will be Spot, stalk, wheeze, stalk a little more, wheeze a little more, and ambush them while they're laughing at me.

I was a stalk and shoot type until the amount of cruisers on ATV, made it not worth the effort.

Now I found a choke point on my own land, where they cross between to large sections of Crown land (Federal lands) there is bogs that stay wet all year and a high ridge runs thru the property, there is unobtrusive range markers sprinkled down the field and the deer now ignore the occasional wind flag...so yep I am an ambush hunter :)

That's great on private land but on public land it sucks when you've packed in 5 miles and are glassing a high basin only to have 10 guys on a drive push through and ruin the whole area for everyone else.

I much prefer spot and stock which feels more like hunting while ambush seems more like shooting. Just my $.02. Also why I limit my shots to 600 yards requires a little more maneuvering in to position after glassing an animal at distance.

I do mostly spot and stock...both due to terrain and because i do more archery hunting then rifle. that being said, in the cali late season, deer are nocturnal...like there is not a deer to be seen besides maybe a doe by private property...at least in d8. Most of the deer in the late season are up on some hill in the thickest nasty bush possible...its sometimes easier to ambush if you are looking for meat in the freezer in that case..or wait till you get lucky in hopes some buck makes a fatal mistake. Now in the X-zones....all spot and stalk.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts