Spot & Stalk or Ambush

Spot & Stalk or Ambush For Western Deer?

• MOSTLY - Spot & Stalk

Votes: 999 75.4%
  • MOSTLY - Ambush

Votes: 326 24.6%

• Total voters
The country I hunt is best for spot and stalking. But I like either style of hunting sometimes getting into a good hunting area and watching trails is productive for me.

I have ambushed white tails in Texas but prefer to spot and stalk muleys in Colorado. The name of the game is to kill "it" cleanly prior to being detected and from a secure position if "it" is aggressive. Hence the stealth bomber, intercontinental ballistic missile, submarines AND LONG RANGE RIFLES!!!

You may wanna spend your money on scents, lures, blinds, fancy camo...
I'll spend mine on good glass, long guns and lots of "practice ammo". No offense to anyone, I respect your method and am glad to join you with wooden recurve in hand during bow season. But when we get down to the nut cuttin' I want to hear my spotter say "send it".

After reading Shawn's article, I wonder how most of us hunt western deer.
I tend to do a lot of both. Most of my actual deer hunting is done by watching huge wheat fields and when I spot a likely shooter I then try to maneuver for a shot. More often than not I'm spotting from over a mile away and due to terrain will need to move to within 300-800yds to get set up.

I've done some close stalks as well but they are not the majority.

Not many high places or open plains here in Ohio. So find yourself a good spot with lots of sign and wait for the big one to come by.

Jim

Last edited:
In my younger days I put a lot of time in trees w/ bow for whitetail, hunting a specific buck. Then I got muley bug andI spot and stalk, sit in mountains a lot and do a good majority of dog a big track, same for elk. Love tracking them. I have tracked and shot 5x5 whitey in bed, and a 6x6 bull in bed w/ bow.

I try to sit n wait but 15 minutes into it I start to think i'm missing out elsewhere, thats about when I decide to get up and look around and blow all hope of success.

This all is dependant on where it is I'm hunting,... I live and hunt whitetails in Michigan where I live most of the areas available to hunt (public lands) are in normally tight cover and do not provide the long shots and open areas like the West has to offer me when hunting mulies or elk mostly in Wyoming.

I actually hunt both styles but prefer to spot and stalk em'. I like trying to outwit them while sneeking up on them the best I can before I get busted.

It's always fun to me to find a set of fresh tracks and do some runnin' and gunnin',.. ya' never know where your going to wind up or if you'll find them but the chase is all part of hunting to me. :)

I generally spot and stalk. It is so open out here in the Sandhills of Nebraska that it lends itself very, very well to spot and stalk. You can see for miles 360 degrees when you get on top of one of the big hills out here. When I am not spotting much I go to the places where I know there will be deer and sneak around to ambush the deer from their beds. If you are careful it is still spot and stalk because you can see them before they see you, and then get into position for a close shot. I've never been much of a tree stand hunter, but have been enjoying doing it a couple of times a year with my bow in the river bottoms with my uncle. It's something different anyway.

There is a reason that spot and stock is more popular. It is because it works and ambush usually dosn't. Arrond here it is flat praire and it is hard to set up an ambush.

Also a lot of long range shots have to be taken.:D

Im in Oregon. If I'm on the western side of the Cascades, in Blacktail country, definatly spot and stalk. Over here, on the eastern side, in Muley country, ambush seems to work better after locating a several. I dont hunt deer often anymore, but thats the way it was for me when I did.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.