Spot & Stalk or Ambush

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Len Backus, Apr 17, 2008.

1. MOSTLY - Spot & Stalk

991 vote(s)
    75.5%
  2. MOSTLY - Ambush

322 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

After reading Shawn's article, I wonder how most of us hunt western deer.

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Is there any other kind to hunt?

We gots da White Tail and da Muley. Long range, short range either way ya want it.;)

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Why not both?

spot them stalk them and then set up your ambush.

4. guns_and_labs

guns_and_labs Well-Known Member

My local blacktail are not predictable enough to ambush.

So, grab a high point, glass every open spot within 1500 yards, spot them feeding in the open, then hope to find a shooting platform within a few hundred yards.

Or, sneak through the trees, and try to be quieter than they are. Of course, they can sense a valid tag long before you can see them, so this doesn't always work.

5. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

Hiking with a backpack on and going wherever I want to go and jump shooting bucks has been my most favorite way to hunt deer but now poking one across the canyon with a good long range rifle is becoming my second most favorite way to hunt them. With all the technical advances it’s like a new game and I’m having fun.

6. Cobramach1

Cobramach1 Well-Known Member

With the open plains in South Dakota it's all about spotting them and then stalking them. I try to get in as close as possible.

7. britz

britz Well-Known Member

I was going to reply to the pole, but I technically don't hunt "western" White tail. I hunt Just east of the Mississippi lol. -- I'm lazy, I ambush from a tried and true spot.

8. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

If your not using both your not using all the tools in the tool box. :) No place for both on the poll.

9. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

Prefer Spot n Stalk, but it doesn't always suit the terrain in western states.
    Sometimes I'll still hunt or ambush too.

10. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Haven't hunted Western deer so I didn't vote but, would prefer Spot & Stalk.

11. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Both, depending on the situation/terrain/time of day etc. But graetly prefer spot and stock to any other method hands down.

12. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I'll spot and stalk in areas I don't know but once I know them I go to ambush mode so I can slip in and out without disrupting any animal movement with stalking. Eventually, if the animal movements haven't gotten out of wack you can start taking a few out or wait for a big buck to work through.

13. 300rum

300rum Well-Known Member

old areas, i used ambush for wt, mulley deer in the morning and evenings.
    if they don't show up i change tactics and go after them.
    starting few years ago, with cwd on deer, they tend to change behavior, so ambush is not working all the time.
    you start seeing big bucks between 10-11am, 2-4pm, exactly when you are relaxing between morning and evening hunt.
    in week days - mo-fri, not a problem for ambush, but on end of the week... notca chance on some areas.
    i have to walk deeper from the main roads to be able to fill my tags.

14. kc

kc Well-Known Member

The place I hunt I can only ambush becaus its so thick and can only get a 20 yard shots.
    but on windy days I stalk I know where they are bedding with there noses to the wind, I have made shots from 5 to 10 feet.