sporterized 1903 refurb

camoman80

Ok a friend of mine asked me to do a refurb job on an sporterized 1903 30.06. Surprisingly The recoil lug was not fitted right to the stock (sarcasm) and the walnut stock has a crack in the tang of it. He would like to keep the stock if at all possible so I thouht I would epoxy the crack and brass pin it. While I was at it I plan on bedding the action as well to make sure the lug fits right. Ok now that i said all of that I have never worked on a 1903 before So I thought I would ask yall what all am i looking for. Thanks for any help
Matt

If its under 800,000...Get your hands off it. really the reciever is brittle. if its a keeper order another stock..I got one I have been working on for the last 2 years and have over 3 grand in to it and thats no BS(bull ****). I have a new barrel that just went on $500.00 and thats not the ending..but when they are finished they are your pride and joy..
I got lots of 03A3s, 03s..I have one being put into service condition with a new Douglas Barrel.
All of my Springfields will shoot better than most new rifles out today (just some pride talking).
any reciever(03,03a3) under 800,000..is not safe..I get warned from every Gunsmith I know they won't touch them.
As for a new stock, you can buy some fantastic stocks for around $200.00 that will suck your eyes out. you can use an epoxy, dig out the pocket for the recoil lug, and when you bed it remove the trigger....if you get bedding into it you will have problems.
all around the barrel use a strip of duck tape to make sure the barrel is floating and use reliece
on the action fill the pocket and lay a coat of tape along the edge of the stock.
do all this at one time and in order. you will do ok just watch how much pressure you apply.
Try to keep the bedding off the screws..do not put any bedding into the channel for the barrel.
I wish you lived next door I would be proud to help in any way when it comes to Springfields.
Don't get bedding on the stock, use duck tape and a rasor trim any exess tape from the area, you will be bedding only the Action..Not the barrel..you should be able to pull a dollar along the area under the Barrel. (when finished)the tape is to keep your barrel strate and true and to protect it from getting bedding on it. I have seen bedding jobs where the Action was below the stock and some above it keep your work even to start with..do it with care and take your time, do a good job make sure the action fits ok and if its high sand a little stock to bring the action as even as you can. If the action sinks into the stock thats why you use the bedding as even as you can. when you tighten the screws the action will squish the exess watch with care not to over tighten the screws you may draw the action below the stock.
Remamber who owns this Rifle...

I have an 03 that is 800000+ and I very much wish I could find someone both able and willing to work on it. Would love a scope mount, bolt handle re-done for scope operation, and I think a re-barrel job to 280AI. It needs a new stock as well, since the one on it was badly gagged up when I bought it originally. Problem is, finding a GOOD smith who *WILL* touch any springfield at all.

I love that old gun!
Gary

I live in Southern CA. It is nice to finally find people who actually think the old springfield is worth while!

Thank you,
Gary
P.S. will reply to the pm's here in a couple minutes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.