Split neck 6x284??

Outlaw6.0

Fellas, here's my question i'm shooting a custom 6x284 on a rem 700 action with a 26" heavy Kreiger bbl. however the question relates to reloading. I am using new Norma 6.5x284 brass necked down with Redding dies, the problem i'm having is a BUNCH of brass is splitting at the neck BEFORE firing, it has to be happening during seating of the 107 SMK, that is the place I believe the problem is occuring. I have found about 20 of the last 100 that I have done are split, am I going to have to neck turn these cases? I didn 't figure necking from 264 to 243 would be enough to require neck turning, or do I need to use a bushing die? Any help would be great, I've been reloading for ~10 yrs & have never came across this problem with my 22-243.

Thanks in advance- Outlaw6.0

I had to turn my necks to size down my lapua brass, but it was becouse it was smashing the neck down into the shoulder when trying to size down. Once I turned the neck everything went smooth.

-Nathan

Try annealing the necks. I kept getting cracked necks with a couple different sizes of brass so now I anneal just about everything. I use the socket and drill method I found on this site and heat them till they just turn purple before the brass starts to glow red and drop em in a bucket of water.
My 25-06's would always want to crack.
Easier than you think.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.