Spiral fluted bolt with 7STW OK?

Discussion in '7mm STW' started by EBOLAVIRS, Apr 25, 2013.

1. EBOLAVIRS

EBOLAVIRS Well-Known Member

I am in the process of having a custom action built for a 7STW. The bolts are normally spiral fluted which concerns me with the 7STW being a belted cartridge, don't want the flutes hanging on the belt. Anyone have a STW with spiral fluted bolt? Anyone see any problems if this is done?

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I would have never even thought to ask a question like that....That's a good one. Now I'm curious, too.

3. NomadPilot

NomadPilot Well-Known Member

Can they skip the flutes on the bottom of the bolt - leave that part flat? I don't know if the flutes will be a problem, but that would eliminate your concern.

4. SFR292

SFR292 Well-Known Member

NO, we flute lots and lots of bolts on belted magnums and have never had an issue with the belt hanging on the flutes. and Yes, mine is fluted, and heavy deep flutes. We even fluted the bolts on 2 of the 33/378weatherbys we built and those didn't hang up either.

5. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Go with Ben's answer. No it's not going to cause any issues.

6. EBOLAVIRS

EBOLAVIRS Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up. Nice to hear it from someone who knows.

7. eshorebwhntr

eshorebwhntr Well-Known Member

I have a spiral fluted bolt on my STW by Kampfeld Customs. He will cut it the whole way around but if you choose will only cut the top part that you see leaving the bottom that runs across the brass untouched so you don't feel it.

As others have stated it really doesn't 'hurt' anything but you do feel a difference as my buddy has a 30 Hart that he had the bolt done the whole way around vs mine which has the bottom that runs across the mag uncut.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck.