Spin drift and Coriolis???

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by jrw1976, Mar 26, 2012.

1. jrw1976

jrw1976 Well-Known Member

At what yardage do you guys start worrying about adjusting for spin drift and coriolis effect?

Thanks, Jason

2. .284

.284 Well-Known Member

I think that I can start to see spin drift around 600 yards if I'm shooting in calm conditions. If I correct for it I'm usually only dialing a click or two at that distance. Depending on what direction you are shooting coriolis can somewhat counteract the spin drift and minimize its effect or compound it

3. Topshot

Topshot Well-Known Member

Beyond 1000 yards.
    Under that its not an issue.

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Re: Spin drift and Coriollis???

Although minimal I can detect spin drift at 500 in steller conditions and it grows to about .5 to .75 moa at 1000 in my rifle. I leave it on as part of my shooting solution in my ballistic program for all shots. Coriollis effects I enable past 1200 yds and it does make a difference especially at a mile.

Jeff

5. jrw1976

jrw1976 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys those were the stats I was looking for.

Jason

6. SHRTSHTR

SHRTSHTR Well-Known Member

All good advise. I however leave spin drift and coriolis on at all times. It does not hurt anything to leave these functions on. For me it is one less thing that I have to do in the field.

Most people (NOT ALL) do the majority of their shooting under a 1000 yards. It is to easy to forget to turn these functions on if your not used to using them. This is what I do and works for me.

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I agree with leaving them on , and I do with spin drift. But the reson I choose to switch on Criollis is because I use "shooter" and it takes two more step to get azmuth and enter latitude. I just dont see the need for shots under 1000 so I switch it on for 1200 and beyond. I usually take plenty of time for those long pokes anyway..:D

Jeff