Speer 165 Spitzer BTSP

HJW

Does anyone have experience with these bullets?

Speer Bullets - Product Details

They have a BC of .520 which is impressive for the caliber/weight,
so they seem like they'd be a good choice for long range shooting
with my 700 SPS-T.

Does anyone have experience with these bullets?

Speer Bullets - Product Details

They have a BC of .520 which is impressive for the caliber/weight,
so they seem like they'd be a good choice for long range shooting
with my 700 SPS-T.

I had that very same question a few months back and nobody replied. Not sure if there are people that use them or not, but may be worth a look. Let me know how they work out for ya. I've chosen to go with the Nosler 168 NBT. I have been quite happy with the results.

Tank

Tank

The only experience I have had with the Speer 165 is in a K-31 7.5X55 Swiss rifle that I was fooling around with putting a side mount removable scope on. They sure shot accurately at 100 yards. I have not gotten around to doing any more shooting with it though. Too many rifles and not enough time is the story of my life.

I had that very same question a few months back and nobody replied. Not sure if there are people that use them or not, but may be worth a look. Let me know how they work out for ya. I've chosen to go with the Nosler 168 NBT. I have been quite happy with the results.

Tank

Tank

That was my second choice, these just seemed like their BC is basically unbeatable in the 150-168 grain range for 30 caliber, so I will try them out.
I'm going to pick a box up this week and I will PM you and let you know how
they shoot.

Hunter

That was my second choice, these just seemed like their BC is basically unbeatable in the 150-168 grain range for 30 caliber, so I will try them out.
I'm going to pick a box up this week and I will PM you and let you know how
they shoot.

Hunter
Sounds good. Curious to hear how they work out.

Tank

Many of the published BC numbers for Speer bullets appear to be over stated.

Of course, you're putting a lot of faith in assuming that the published G1 BC for that bullet is correct, and since Speer offers no info as to how BC was determined, or at what velocity range it is supposed to be accurate, it's really not very useful in predicting long range results.

At best, a single G1 BC number is well known to not be accurate over the range of a bullet's flight.

Possibly, they determined BC by modeling rather than by real world testing. Bullet manufacturers used to use modeling in the past to estimate BC until they expanded their ballistics capability. It's very expensive to do real world BC testing, but it's necessary, because the theoretically obtained BC values often differ dramatically from real world values.

As a result, recently, a lot of previously published BC estimates were dramatically lowered when their bullets were actually tested. The changes were reflected in revised published data from Sierra, Barnes, Hornady, Berger to name a few, and I don't know if Speer actually bothered to test their bullets or not. Some manufacturers only test their Match bullets because BC matters more to match shooters.

In their 1994 Manual, Speer published a BC of .477 for that bullet, so how did it happen to grow over time...benefits of ageing like fine wine perhaps?

I may have some of those bullets laying around here, and if I do I'll take a look at them, but it's not reasonable to me that an older basic hunting design would exceed the best contemporary VLD designs of the same weight.

In any event, I wouldn't depend on un-tested G1 BC numbers to reflect actual range results in the field.

If their BC numbers were that high, LR shooters would be raving about the Speer miracle bullets and shooting them...I don't see that happening.

TC

Last edited:
Of course, you're putting a lot of faith in assuming that the published G1 BC for that bullet is correct, and since Speer offers no info as to how BC was determined, or at what velocity it is supposed to be accurate, it's really not very useful in predicting long range results. At best, a single BC number is known to not be accurate over the range of a bullet's flight.

Many of the published BC numbers for Speer bullets appear to be over stated.

Possibly, they determined BC by modeling rather than by testing. Bullet manufacturers used to do it that way in the past until they expanded their ballistics capability. It's very expensive to do real world BC testing, but it's necessary, because the theoretically obtained BC values often differ dramatically from real world values.

I may have some of those bullets laying around here, and if I do I'll take a look at them, but it's not reasonable that an older basic hunting design would exceed the best contemporary VLD designs of the same weight.

If their BC numbers were accurate, LR shooters would be raving about the Speer miracle bullets and shooting them.

TC

Interesting, and I agree. I've been thinking about that this week and I think I'm going to go with the Nosler Ballistic Tips instead. More battle proven and tested than the Speers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.