Speed Goat Speed Hunt

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by D.P., Oct 10, 2005.

1. D.P.

D.P. Well-Known Member

Midnight on the 5th after work I was packing for Wyoming. Up four hour later and off the the airport, 11:30am I arrived in Wyoming. Ric Horst and Steve met me at the airport and less than an hour later I was at the hotel and changed. Off to the hunting area to meet Chris Matthews. Less than two hours later I was belly down in the dirt low crawling up along side Chris glassing a bedded doe on the next hill at 370 yards. A quick dial up and Ric and Chris got front row seats when her nose hit the dirt. When I got to her my first words were OH SH..! The .30 175 SMK exited with most of her belongings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Day one over.
    Day two up at 5:30 and off to the area we were hunting bucks. At 9:30am we were glassing some goats when a nice one came out of no where. As Chris alerted us the goat kicked it in overdrive. Another voice (Steve/Ric?) yelled get your gun. I don't know much about goats but I figured it out quick! Seconds later I was on my belly again with Chris along side calling out yardage. As the goat approached 550 yards and a drop off it stopped and looked back, a few more clicks and the SMK was off and my hunt was over. The Goat went a touch over 15", and to make things better it was on video. Ric caught great trace and I hope the video did also. Ric, Chris,and Steve were awesome! as where the other hunters. It was a great time and anoter great buck was taken that day. I'll let the shooter tell that story. I cant wait to hear from the rest of the guys and see how things went after I left.
    Oh yeah the airline lost my checked bag and my LSR 300WSM!!! after a day of searching they were loacated. My gun and luggage have been to the west coast and more states than I have. A delivery service just dropped them off ten minutes ago. Hope to have pics soon.

2. Bob S.

Bob S. Well-Known Member

Congrats on the two fer. Sounds like you run in the right circle. I would love to shoot/hunt with you guys someday. Waiting for the pics!

3. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the successful hunt! I will be using the same combo next week to try and take a pig with my 300 SAUM. Maybe I will have the same results as yourself.

4. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Congrats on the hunt, bring on the pictures!!

Kirby Allen(50)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Congrats

Man That must of been a blast! Hey Rimfire...Keep your eyes open for an email Want to see if your interested in something.

Cant wait to see the pics. I bet you had a heart attack with the luggage missing. Sounds like you had a great time

Joe

6. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Way to go Rimfire. The stories are getting better and better and the season has just begun.

I can't believe that they (temporarily) lost your rifle. Did you have to change flights mid-way? I was very concerned about being separated from my rifles so I flew direct into Denver Intl. and drove a rental up into Wyoming.

Forget the pictures - post the video! Can't wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

Great story you should be a writer

8. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Rimfire, sounds like you guys had a great time. It's awsome that some of the guys on this site can get time to go out and play togeather. Congrats on your goats.

9. LOBO

LOBO Well-Known Member

The video is a must do! We have to see it!