Southern Idaho 6X7 33inch spread muley

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by budlight, Nov 2, 2005.

1. budlight

budlight Well-Known Member

Barnes 243" 95 gr. XLC FB out of 6mm remington in front of 49.2 grains of R-22 and tests chronoed at 3300 = or - 12 fps out of a 26 inch bull barrel.

Out doing the road hunters of America (driving around the outback) Mr great big buck is surpised as much as us when we came around the hill. It was the wifes tag and on her side. So she rolled down the window and opened the door for a nice steady rest and let it fly. It was about a 100 yard chip shot heart lung shot. The deer did the shudder and flinch and bounded into the thickets in the draw. I've had good luck in the past with these Barnes rounds out to 500 yards on Wyoming antelop. So I was hoping that it didn't go far or require another shot. To my surpize it had not gone more than 100 feet and was dead. It was a 1/4ing away shot and 50 feet higher than us. The bullet entered the lower chest 10-12 inches back of the front leg and got it's heart/lungs. The bullet was lodged in the far side under the front shoulder socket.

The wife is pretty good with the 6mm and she shot a couple hundred rounds at the range out to 400 yards. So we were ready for the longer shot.

The only sad thing is it's bigger than my mounted 5X5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess that I'm not head of the house any more!

2. rufous

rufous Well-Known Member

Have you got any photos you could post? Rufous.

3. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

budlight,
    It's unforgiveable you did not post any pictures!!! Shame on you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just kidding!
    We do want to see the pictures though! Including of the bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Congratulations to you both, specially to your wife for a great shot!

4. LOBO

LOBO Well-Known Member

Congrats! Pics please!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Pictures , pictures , pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

congrats on a mighty fine score. Now.............................wheres the pix /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    jim