southern hunter in florida

cody0707

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this forum religiously for the past week. I am a law enforcement officer in Florida. Prior to that I was an infantryman in the army. I enjoy shooting. I do not own any rifles at the moment. I plan on changing this very soon. With the help and wisdom of the members on the forum I am hoping to find the perfect rifle for my needs.

I am looking for something to hunt with in the SW region of the US. I will be hunting mainly deer, turkey, hogs, and coyotes. I am looking for something that is light in recoil, closest to the recoil of an m-4 is preferred. I would like to go to the range and be able to shoot 40+ rounds without my shoulder begging for me to stop. I want the rifle to last. The longer the better. I would love to use the rifle for long range target practice. With practice maybe one day kill a critter out to 600 yards.

What caliber would you recommend for what I described?

Your killing me with the "recoil similar to an M4" bit. Can you bump that up a little bit? Ex army infantry myself.

How about a .243? 25-06? Unless you reload your pretty much restricted to what's on the shelves at BPS.

Your killing me with the "recoil similar to an M4" bit. Can you bump that up a little bit? Ex army infantry myself.

How about a .243? 25-06? Unless you reload your pretty much restricted to what's on the shelves at BPS.

I have shot a .30-30. After about 50 rounds through it my shoulder didn't want anymore. It was a model 94 shooting 160 grain Hornady lever evolution rounds. The rifle did not have a recoil pad and I was shooting from the bench.

As long as I can do better than this then I think I will be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.