South Pacific Ram Hunt

Im2lazy

I've just got back from a 4 day Ram hunt on the tiny Pitt Island about 600 miles off the east coast of New Zealand. The island has only 28 people living there but it has some great trophy Ram's which we had great fun chasing. These sheep have a very interesting history, they were released into this area in 1841. A scientific reserve was set up to protect this unique breed of sheep, they thrived and the reserve is now long gone and they can be hunted on private land. We camped in a very old and delapidated cottage that had not been lived in for many years, the hunting area was only about a 3 mile walk from camp. I shot 2 Ram's with my 7mm/300wm using a 162gr SST. Sadly the head skins could not be taken as it was the rut, so the skins were very knocked around. I saw a truly great trophy on the 2nd day but was not able to take a shot and didn't see this Ram over the rest of the trip, but I am happy with the 2 Ram's I got.

P1020582.jpg

P1020618.jpg

nice rams mate! beautiful country too! Its a life goal of mine to hunt in the South Pacific.

Saw a true monster? Those look big to me. Congratulations, I hope to hunt down there with my son in a couple years. Australia- New Zealand vacation. I wish I could trade someone a good Wyoming or Alaska hunt for something down there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.