South of Reno Nevada (Photos)

Now thats funny!:D. The only time I ever visited the south I was in Texas (twice) but the first time I was around Austin the ''hill country''......????? huh??? ya, anyway for flat as a pancake ground it was beautiful, especially at lake Travis. I was all ready to go for a swim, as the humidity was unbearable for this Eastern Oregon High Desert boy. It had rained (and I mean holy crap rain!!!) about 2 hrs before and one of the local boys said, ever so politely, ''Hey yankee, dont you know nuthin?!? Yall dont go swimmin in this water after a rain or your liable to become a teddy bear to a bunch of ''moccisons''. At the Yankee comment I was ready to shut his mouth for him, as I had relitaves on both sides of that war, and Oregon was a territory at the time, and some of Oregon was so sympathettic towards the Southern cause that the boys in blue wouldnt ride thru it. Well to make a long story shorter, he was tellin the truth, and may have saved my bacon. I was in his town so I kept my mouth shut, and Im glad I did. He turnned out to be a real nice guy that was lookin out for an un-educated stranger to local customs. There WERE snakes in the water that day. I learned this that evening at the Oasis- bar/resteraunt overlooking the Lake from all the folks on the river talking about snakes trying to slither into thier boat while in the water! Washed out from the rain I gathered. Thank God for Southern Hospitality. I found the guy later, and bought him a beer for his efforts. He thanked me and laughed about the ''yankee'' comment, and said I shouldve been born there as bad as my feathers ruffled at the yankee comment.:D but said Texas would probably adopt me anyway especially since Im named after Colonel Travis, and my last name is Ewing:D. Smart ***. HAHA
Snakes down there are a whole different ball of worms. I wish I remembered that guy's name, but Im sure glad he took the time to let this Oregon boy know not to do anything stupid. Great folks down there, Great food, Great resteraunt, and my goodness those Southern ladies were beautiful. But Ill never go swimming in Texas after that experience, unless Im at a pool.

"I wish I remebered that guy's name" Now I know we have met before :D

Just joking around LOL

BigBuck

Encountering that nest would terrify me. I absolutely hate snakes, the very thought of them gives me the willies.

I was once posted to Belize when in the army and there are snakes there that are unreal:

- we once came across a Fer de lance which the locals used to call Tommys on a trail. We stopped in order to wait for it to pass on, but the bugger switched round, reared and came straight at us! Thankfully one of the guys was carrying a shotgun.

- They have a snake called a Jumping Viper that would come into the harbour position at night and crawl into anything left discarded. One bit a guy when he lifted his boot; it rose out from the boot and struck his arm. Thankfully a guy nearby cut it in half and we bundled it up with him for medivac.

- We were forever being warned to police our waste but some idiots just wouldn't learn. This resulted in rats flooding into the bases especially at night and the snakes would follow to hunt the rats. Not a pleasant experience returning to my billet just in time to find a snake gorging on a big rat.

Thankfully snakes are not a problem in the UK.

2 weeks ago, my oldest son (30 y/o) went on a missionary trip from Nevada to Arizona and from Arizona to South America for a whole month. One night, his 7 years old son who was left in Arizona with mom and the other kids at their grandpa and grandma's house, prayed this prayer " Lord God, please take care of my dad and don't let the snakes bite the brothers that are with him".

Every one though it was a cute prayer from a boy that age and they did not think much of it.... In south America the missionaries that I'm referring to had to sleep on the floor and in the morning one of them woke up with a poisonous snake on his chest... Yes! The snake did never bite him!!! True Story!!!!!!!

2 weeks ago, my oldest son (30 y/o) went on a missionary trip from Nevada to Arizona and from Arizona to South America for a whole month. One night, his 7 years old son who was left in Arizona with mom and the other kids at their grandpa and grandma's house, prayed this prayer " Lord God, please take care of my dad and don't let the snakes bite the brothers that are with him".

Every one though it was a cute prayer from a boy that age and they did not think much of it.... In south America the missionaries that I'm referring to had to sleep on the floor and in the morning one of them woke up with a poisonous snake on his chest... Yes! The snake did never bite him!!! True Story!!!!!!!

Cool story Eaglet. Kinda cool how that works, especially when it is asked so sincerely from a young one.:) Glad everyone was ok.

Well I been around just northwest of reno to stateline of CA since I was a kid and haven't really encounters rattlesnakes. Just a couple of baby rattlers by the truckee river while fishing. But I did step right over a a very stuffed 4 to 5 foot boa snake of some kind. Never figured out what kind even after spending days on computer looking at all of the snake to identify what kind it was. It was barely moving and was about 6" fat, the head was about 3/4" wide and didn't have a rattler. Must have ate a coon or something, left that one alone.

What freaks me out in this territory are the black widows!!!

But I'll avoid fishing South of Reno anyways! LOL

I've grown up with rattlers all my life and they just don't bug me at all, we come across them all the time bow hunting, my buddy freaks out all the time, it doesn't help that he knows I'll have to catch it and check it out. I don't kill them anymore, there just doing there thing, besides I'd rather have rattle snakes than mice, now that gives me the heeebeee jebies !!!

I've grown up with rattlers all my life and they just don't bug me at all, we come across them all the time bow hunting, my buddy freaks out all the time, it doesn't help that he knows I'll have to catch it and check it out. I don't kill them anymore, there just doing there thing, besides I'd rather have rattle snakes than mice, now that gives me the heeebeee jebies !!!

If you had to deal with cattle,horses and hunting dogs with snake bites you might change your opinion of letting them live,we kill every single one we find,ill stop on the highway to kill them.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.